FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest FCC_Thawk
2 minutes ago, Blankslate said:

We got new NWUs last year because all of his had his old squadron patch on them. If he doesn't get this S this year we probably won't get new NWUs until he rotates back to sea duty. 

I'm on shore duty now but I roll back to sea in April. I figure I might as well get them now, hopefully with gold name tapes 

Guest Blankslate
2 minutes ago, FC1THawk said:

I'm on shore duty now but I roll back to sea in April. I figure I might as well get them now, hopefully with gold name tapes 

He doesn't rotate til end of next year so it would be either get them in August or get them in December. 

Guest NavyChic2003
51 minutes ago, NavyChic said:

At my command the CO comes to tell you if you made it and if you didn't. So I will be in a ball of nerves when I see him because he could tell me "N" or "S". 

That's great your CO does that.  We had a change of command recently, so I'm hoping they adopt the same thing, letting people know regardless.  Over the past couple of years, the worst part is when you're  not selected and all of a sudden it's like you don't exist anymore.  You're left guessing as the CO, CMC, and Chiefs just walk by afraid to make eye contact with you...

Guest FCC_Thawk
11 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

That has been one of the things that has bothered me for years. I implemented a non-selectee sponsor committee this year at my command. Once the results are posted, all non-selectees will be assigned a mentor/sponsor to do a CDB and then meet weekly to develop the Phase I PQS for after Phase II is over this year. I believe if FCPOs have the buy-in and say in what they want to learn, then there will be more of a desire to attend. I completely agree that after results are released those not selected get tossed to the side, and I won't have it while I am running Phase II. It is CPO 365, not CPO 325. Either way, I hope that those not selected remember the feeling and once you are selected, do not avoid people who aren't. Embrace them and let them know that you also have went thru not being selected and you know that it hurts and is disappointing. Be that leader that you need in your times of frustration and disappointment.

I agree 100%. This is try #9 for me. I'll be honest, I don't think I can take another N. If I do get one, I have no idea what they can tell me at the CDB. I do understand that it is a numbers game, but when your COC tells you "Just keep doing what you're doing", it's extremely, extremely frustrating, especially when I only have two "next times" left. 

People, please post the khaki poll comments in that thread, not this one. Some great comments so vote and take a peek if you haven't done so.

:graphics-3d-smileys-290149:

2 hours ago, Forth13 said:

We're owned by NSTC, but yes, it's a mess. Honestly I don't mind to wait. This will be my first and only look at Chief.

This is who you contact, not maybe but definitely:

CMDCM(AW/SW) MATT LAING, USN
Command Master Chief, Naval Service Training Command

Guest Blankslate

wow 116...gonna blow past my 120 for monday prediction so I guess I should modify it. 135 by 2359 tomorrow! 

Guest PS1_Flo

It looks like everyone had a good weekend. Everyone seems pretty calm too so that's good. I had a busy weekend with my daughter but it was really good to be focused on other stuff besides these results. My husband will be home from Bahrain this week so I am really hoping we get to celebrate getting the S together. :D

Guest FCC_Thawk
1 minute ago, PS1_Flo said:

It looks like everyone had a good weekend. Everyone seems pretty calm too so that's good. I had a busy weekend with my daughter but it was really good to be focused on other stuff besides these results. My husband will be home from Bahrain this week so I am really hoping we get to celebrate getting the S together. :D

That would be awesome! Best of luck to you and your husband!!

Guest PS1_Flo
1 minute ago, FC1THawk said:

That would be awesome! Best of luck to you and your husband!!

9 minutes ago, Forth13 said:

That would be awesome!!!! Good luck!

Thanks so much! It would be really great, but I really hope at least one of us gets selected. Since we've been together, it's been me who promotes first lol. 

Guest OS(SW/EXW/IDW)
23 hours ago, DeepSea5342 said:

On this I would say it was a good call submitting a career summary. Ask 100 Master Chiefs what they think about a career summary, and you will get 50 different answers. One thing that has remained consistent though is that if you have had a career path that is different from what the community manager suggests, submit one. This looks like you are one of those cases so good on you for putting it in. @Ordy put out some really good information on what to submit in your LTB so if you haven't seen that yet I suggest checking it out.

I read all of the forums and was glad that I submitted it. I second guessed myself prior to putting one in and was actually approaching my Chief and Departmental Chief about possibly getting a special eval written instead of submitting all of my enclosures because while they will see that I haven't been on sea duty for 5 years, they would see that I came to a ship, became the LPO and took charge in leading a division of 20 personnel who were very successful while we were deployed.

Guest OS(SW/EXW/IDW)
17 hours ago, HawkISback said:

OS(EXW/IDW/SW) 

I'm in the same situation.  I have spent three years in Afghanistan. I literally had at the time CENTCOMM CMC say if I was sitting the board, I would ask what are you hiding from in your career. Now my CMC at the time was a 30 year SEALCMC, I know he wanted to throat punch her. But I get this asked a lot, from individuals. I had to restrain my anger when the boats CMC asked me don't you love your wife like within a month of being back onboard.  When I got back from my second one, I had a double hernia fixed. I ended up getting put on Limdu. My IAs cost me from getting my IT quaIs However in my IA/LIMDU time I got 2x DMSMs, the first as an E-5(because the nature of my billet and my performance), 1x JCOM, 1x JSAM, IDW, EXW.  I know awards don't get you anchors but I impacted the war as much as an IT could. After my Limdu I was slated for a riverine unit, then my orders got cancelled. The detailer put me at my current command. I've been CMEO,CCC,CFL, and security manager. As CCC I scored a 100% and 100% retention since last inspection.  As CFL we had zero failures out of 60 personnel. I got SOY and won my ISIC, loosing out at next level. If not having those radio quals and a typical background then so be it.  I've helped our seals capture or kill targeted individuals. Which imo is what I'm supposed to do as a communicator. They hate us because they ain't us. 

Totally agree with you. One of the IA's I didn't have the choice to pick whether I wanted to go or not, they basically told me I was going to do it. The last one I did though I made sure I had a CDB with my Chief and My CMC (who sat the board prior) about going. They told me that it wouldn't affect me and that I had nothing else I could do at the command, I needed to move on to better things and lead other sailors. They did tell me that while I was on my IA i needed to get warfare qualifications is possible, and be the LPO, which I was. Not only did I lead the other sailors and get my warfare pins, they also had me sit on the boards for EXW because a lot of the command had never been out to sea so they were happy with the experience and training i could bring to the table to help qualify others. I know the Precepts say that no sailor should be punished for out of area tours but in the situation that you and I are in, it seems like we are.

Guest OS(SW/EXW/IDW)
3 minutes ago, DeepSea5342 said:

Well the best of luck to you!

Thank you, I wish the best of luck to all of my Brothers and Sisters eagerly waiting the results...which I was told by a couple of my Chiefs yesterday would come out on Tuesday...not sure if this is rumor but they were all saying the same thing to all the SBE.

Guest CWO2 RRP 782X
4 hours ago, HAZEGREY1775 said:

So, any IT's on here? 

Just for curiosity's sake, what was everyone's 'package looking like? Or better yet, What type of quals, education, awards, types of opening statements/closing statements are y'all working with?  I'll start it off:

Master's Degree, CASP certification, PPME and SEJPME I, MOVSM, USMAP (4), SAPR VA, Asst. CFL, FCPOA Treasurer, Department, EIWS Coord, MTS, ATS, CSDO Letter, and ATTWO letter.

#1 of 46 - SOY

"Already performing as a seasoned CPO. Select him now and make it official!" (all in caps of course)

That is a pretty good package. Seems you would have a check in every box. I hope you select.

Over the last 5 years, I was FCPOA VP, OOD In Port, CWO, IAM, EKMS LE Alternate, SAPR VA, CFL, Diversity Committee President, LPO at Sea, Associates Degree, PPME, JPME, SEJPME, 2379, 95PT, 2781, 2779 NECs earned. Only writeups under the SGA was my very first eval as a first and the good ol' Welcome aboard P. Other than that, well above the average.

Last writeup was "PUT HIM IN KHAKI'S NOW!" HE IS ALREADY OUTPERFORMING SOME OF MY CHIEFS!" (I was surprised as well when I was debriefed...)

Not every day you see ITs get an ATTWO designation. Good stuff!

Good luck to you brother! Nice to see more ITs on this forum! :)

Guest HAZEGREY1775
42 minutes ago, IT_uno said:

That is a pretty good package. Seems you would have a check in every box. I hope you select.

Over the last 5 years, I was FCPOA VP, OOD In Port, CWO, IAM, EKMS LE Alternate, SAPR VA, CFL, Diversity Committee President, LPO at Sea, Associates Degree, PPME, JPME, SEJPME, 2379, 95PT, 2781, 2779 NECs earned. Only writeups under the SGA was my very first eval as a first and the good ol' Welcome aboard P. Other than that, well above the average.

Last writeup was "PUT HIM IN KHAKI'S NOW!" HE IS ALREADY OUTPERFORMING SOME OF MY CHIEFS!" (I was surprised as well when I was debriefed...)

Not every day you see ITs get an ATTWO designation. Good stuff!

Good luck to you brother! Nice to see more ITs on this forum! :)

Good stuff as well bro. Is this your first or second time up? All EPs? Any breakouts? 

Guest CWO2 RRP 782X
20 minutes ago, HAZEGREY1775 said:

Good stuff as well bro. Is this your first or second time up? All EPs? Any breakouts? 

Second time up. EP MP(frocking eval), P(first E6 eval), P(welcome aboard), MP, EP, EP. Only one soft breakout where I was #1 of 70. 

Last year I don't feel that I had the leadership experience and a few other things that the board was looking for. This year I feel much better...we will find out soon!!

Guest FCC_Thawk
8 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

It isn't out yet, but it looks like the current NWU is going to be going away. We had all call with the FLTCM and were told to be on the lookout for the new uniform updates coming out in a NAVADMIN.

Any word on what uniform we will shift to?

oops, I need to remind myself not to go make a sandwich when I do a reboot. Something may go wrong like it just did... all is well now though. :huh: 

Guest CursedSwabbie
5 minutes ago, Tony said:

oops, I need to remind myself not to go make a sandwich when I do a reboot. Something may go wrong like it just did... all is well now though. :huh: 

Don't worry Tony! It is not the amazing stuff you do with the website that will matter.... It is that one time that you make a sandwich that everyone will criticize you for. :)

Just now, CursedSwabbie said:

Don't worry Tony! It is not the amazing stuff you do with the website that will matter.... It is that one time that you make a sandwich that everyone will criticize you for. :)

:graphics-3d-smileys-177509:

As a reminder folks;

I posted quite a few pages back how something that may appear innocent enough will degenerate into some pretty nasty stuff because people have different levels of what they consider crude or whatnot. 

I set a guideline/ limit on that stuff (the bad words for example, but that is not all) to leave no question that it is not tolerated. That way, for the most part, I don't have to hear the "but what about what he or she posted!".

So please remember, your level of what is acceptable is not the same as the next person. Also, I'll mention again. Family members, including moms, have accounts here. They are most welcome. 

Guest NavyPride34
2 minutes ago, Surf AT said:

CMC just called in eleven First Classes to her office. All were SEB.

Are you kidding me?  Oh boy!  No more sleep for me tonight.