FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest Blankslate

Buying a house isn't when it gets tricky, it's when you sell it that it gets problematic because you have to figure the adjusted basis which means hoping you have records of every major repair/renovation you did during your ownership. Go to your on base VITA and they should be able to help you out. 

Guest AWFChief
3 hours ago, SA_ATC said:

Results will be out Thursday... Quote me on that...

They will...publicly

Triad Wednesday :4303:

(just my guess)

Guest FCC_Thawk
2 minutes ago, Forth13 said:

I'm trying not to care, but I always get worked up before board results. I've already got my khaki's ironed in the closet.

Wait... What?! Lol

Guest AWFChief
8 minutes ago, Forth13 said:

I'm trying not to care, but I always get worked up before board results. I've already got my khaki's ironed in the closet.

Are you Jake...from state farm?

Guest AWFChief
16 hours ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

We are rolling into our last weekend before the results are released. I know I have posted this before you some of you are probably like, uh yeah we get it, but please spend time with your families this weekend, do whatever hobbies you like, and get plenty of rest. If anything, do it for them. They supported you this far, so spend that last weekend before your overwhelmed, tired, away, and just don't seem to have the focus spending time with the people who really matter.

Solid advice.

Guest navyordie123
4 minutes ago, Tony said:

111 pages. I think someone earlier had said 110 by Sunday and I thought "no way". ;)

If it keeps going this way we might have that 135 by the end of this. 

Finally got into my OMPF and noticed that they updated my NAM that has been missing for two years.  This did not happen last year when the same award was submitted in my LTB.  Is this a new procedure they are doing?  I have been in battle with my admin/PERS to get this particular NAM uploaded as I have two NAM's from the same period but for two different achievements and two different award authority.  Thank you in advance!

6 hours ago, Tony said:

111 pages. I think someone earlier had said 110 by Sunday and I thought "no way". ;)

I know I said 110 before results, back when it was still in the 80's for pages earlier this week.  I just thought it was a lofty goal, and didn't expect everyone to take me serious.

Guest Sailor#1
14 minutes ago, Blondie said:

Forum's pretty quiet at 0600 on Saturdays!  Guess I'll take a seat over here in the corner...

:bigemo_harabe_net-08:

Ha.. I am awake... waiting for these results to come out...  to see who will join me on this phase 2 fun journey.... Good luck to all SBE! (FTS selectee).

Guest Blankslate
2 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

I was lucky enough to have my 3 alarm clocks wake me, demand pancakes, fight over cartoons, and then see I am not the only person awake this morning.

My 3 alarm clocks are still asleep because they don't believe dad when he says they have to get up at 0730 if they want to go fishing with him. I am enjoying the quiet and the ability to not watch the Disney Channel. 

1 hour ago, AME1 said:

I know I said 110 before results, back when it was still in the 80's for pages earlier this week.  I just thought it was a lofty goal, and didn't expect everyone to take me serious.

well you were closer than what I thought. :lol:

So with the new method of registration, a validation email is sent to the person registering. The person must validate the email. If not the account cannot be approved (just like the one currently in the queue). 

So if you are having problems registering an account and are not getting the validating email, you may want to whitelist NavyAdvancement.com. 

Guest MA_TT

I have a question about the MTS/9502 thing. I was at a command under a basic billet that offered me the chance to get the NEC through some no cost orders, but since I wasn't an instructor I wasn't able to do the MTS program. Did I shoot myself in the foot here or do you think the board will recognize that I was in a basic billet and not an instructor role?

Guest NavyChic
14 hours ago, SA_ATC said:

Results will be out Thursday... Quote me on that...

@SA_ATC just maybe be right, I also heard that results will be out Thursday, triad release, but we shall see 

Guest CryptoSquid
35 minutes ago, MA_TT said:

I have a question about the MTS/9502 thing. I was at a command under a basic billet that offered me the chance to get the NEC through some no cost orders, but since I wasn't an instructor I wasn't able to do the MTS program. Did I shoot myself in the foot here or do you think the board will recognize that I was in a basic billet and not an instructor role?

I am in the same situation, after talking to a few master Chiefs, I made sure to address it in my letter this year.

Guest Blankslate
1 hour ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

Keep pressing! I hope your doing what you are passionate about. When I was deciding on my major for my master's degree part of me said get the MBA, but the leader in me (my passion) said get the MA in Executive leadership. The degree was one of the most challenging things I have done, but since I love leadership, it was more fun than work and I learned a ton of stuff that for some reason I didn't retain at the associates and bachelors level.

But wow, with a 3,0 minimum B- or C's are out of the question. Let me know if you ever need a second set of eyes on homework. My favorite Senior Chief has made me her personal tutor already so I don't mind.

I love accounting and taxes. I have friends who are PFMs and they constantly tell me I need a self help program designed for me because no one should enjoy researching tax topics as much as I do. Since I will be shy some credits for my CPA license when I graduate, I am going for a Masters in Taxation. Eventually I hope to be rich enough to be able to open my own practice but offer free prep services for active duty, reserve and retirees and their immediate family members. I don't like that they have to pay for their taxes to be done if they aren't able to do them (or if they own a business and need someone to prepare business taxes). I would probably still have to charge for regular accounting items but more than likely at a reduced rate for veteran owned businesses. 

Guest Blankslate
6 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

I am glad to see you know your WHY in life. A lot of people never make it to that point or become self aware enough to figure it out. Keep pressing and set reasonable goals for each step along the way. It seems when our work becomes about making others better or helping them that without even realizing it, we achieve most of our goals. Awesome stuff!

It took me a while to get to the why but I'll be better prepared than most to light it on fire once I get up and running. 

Guest MA_TT
31 minutes ago, CryptoSquid said:

I am in the same situation, after talking to a few master Chiefs, I made sure to address it in my letter this year.

Would you mind messaging me what your verbage looked like for that? I had been on the fence about addressing it, if I'm not selected this year I'm definitely going to bring it up in my LTB next year.

Guest AZ4Ever

With the Navy changing so many things, Do you think the navy will change the way it advances its sailors? Also @CPO_Pride247, do you think phase II is long enough as it is right now?

Guest Blankslate
Just now, AZ4Ever said:

With the Navy changing so many things, Do you think the navy will change the way it advances its sailors? Also @CPO_Pride247, do you think phase II is long enough as it is right now?

While I am not a service member but a spouse, I grew up with my grandfather who retired as a senior chief as a big influence in my life. I believe that if the Navy needs more than 6 weeks for phase 2 then the mess is doing something wrong the other 46 weeks out of the year (and all the other weeks leading up to that magical 6 weeks of phase 2). 

Guest CTN(IW/SW)
7 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

There are already talks of changing the way advancement occurs. The MCPON has even mentioned going away from an exam type of promotion to something similar to what the Army currently does. Phase II is long enough. The part that gets lost and not taken as seriously is Phase I. There are some commands that have an excellent Phase I plan and execute it well, but on the other side of that, there are commands that have totally failed in the planning and execution. I think that some Phase II's could be improved as well, and each year it is getting better. Most leadership academies in the other services are only 4 to 6 weeks long so we have plenty of time to get what we need to accomplish done in 6 weeks. The key is having the program organized and keeping the communication across all facets of the program open and flowing. So, yes 6 weeks is long enough.

@CPO_Pride247, while I agree with you that the quality of Phase 1 is important, I do not believe that is the overall problem.  I think people, in general, relying on "just" CPO365 to prepare Sailors to become Chiefs is a flawed mindset.  When I first enlisted, I was indoctrinated into the mentality that you always prepare yourself to work at least one paygrade above you.  You watch, you learn, and you ask for advice.  I've had a lot of good Chiefs and bad Chiefs in my career, but I've learned from all of them.  To me, I don't expect a Command's CPO365 program (by itself) to prepare a young Sailor to become the kind of Chief we all wish we could have had in our younger days.

Guest CTN(IW/SW)
Just now, CPO_Pride247 said:

There is nothing in Phase I or Phase II that will truly prepare you to be a Chief in regards to coming to training or participating in the 6 weeks of training. I was taking the time to comment on the overall program since I was already addressing my opinion of the timeline of Phase II. As with each paygrade, there will be a transition period once you are pinned and put on anchors as well. Were you a great FCPO the day you were frocked or was someone there to mentor and develop you into a great FCPO? The same thing is true of being pinned for CPO. There will be an adjustment and mentor period needed as well. I completely agree with your statement that CPO365 is not enough. If you aren't learning and developing daily on your own by seeking out guidance and mentoring, you will not be ready.

Since I crossrated in 2008, I've noticed that things are a lot more visible in the CTN community due to how quickly people can advance.  More often than not, you don't get to see people developed or exposed to a lot things in the middle enlisted period.