FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest Cyber_IT
1 minute ago, DeepSea5342 said:

That's some good information. I'm curious how that would play our if you're at a small unit with only 10 personnel and 2 Chiefs. Seems like three Chiefs would be a little much for 9 guys

Try being at a Detachment with a total of 5 personnel! A Senior, two SBE Firsts and two seconds!

Guest ET1SS

Friday afternoon at 12:30.  It was an early day, and I was on my way home.  The phone rings, and when I try to answer, it cuts off.  I call the number back.  It's a voicemail of a Master Chief.  My hopes soar through the ceiling.  They call back.  They were looking for someone else who hadn't mustered for the day.  And the hopes come crashing back down.

1 minute ago, ET1SS said:

Friday afternoon at 12:30.  It was an early day, and I was on my way home.  The phone rings, and when I try to answer, it cuts off.  I call the number back.  It's a voicemail of a Master Chief.  My hopes soar through the ceiling.  They call back.  They were looking for someone else who hadn't mustered for the day.  And the hopes come crashing back down.

lol, bet your heart skipped a few beats.

:lol: 

Guest Cyber_IT

The only reason I would not want to transfer is that I'm finally at a place where I can get all of my medical issues taken care of. I've always been on ships and had to listen to the doc or dentist say "you should get that taken care of when you get to shore duty." Seven years later, I'm finally on shore duty and the idea of not getting at least two issues corrected would be disappointing to me.

Guest FCC_Thawk
7 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

When I was an instructor and was selected I was told by my detailer that instructor duty is a special duty that is considered mission critical and no regardless of being selected gets transferred. I am an LS so it may be different for your rating, but I would imagine instructor duty is pretty straight across the board. Regardless of your rank, you are filling the role of a facilitator, mentor, and educator. Plus it may be good for you to be a CPO for a while as an instructor before transferring. I know it helped me.

I'm on instructor duty now and my Detailer said I'm staying out if I make Chief. Granted, I do transfer in April, but he said I won't be leaving early to return to sea

Guest navyordie123
32 minutes ago, FC1THawk said:

I'm on instructor duty now and my Detailer said I'm staying out if I make Chief. Granted, I do transfer in April, but he said I won't be leaving early to return to sea

There are a lot of prior instructors on here. being an instructor was the most rewarding tour for me yet. I would love to go back and teach again. Hopefully the prior instructors have their MTS and for those on instructor duty now, please don't leave there with out it.

Guest Old_Salt_ITC
52 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

When I was an instructor and was selected I was told by my detailer that instructor duty is a special duty that is considered mission critical and no regardless of being selected gets transferred. I am an LS so it may be different for your rating, but I would imagine instructor duty is pretty straight across the board. Regardless of your rank, you are filling the role of a facilitator, mentor, and educator. Plus it may be good for you to be a CPO for a while as an instructor before transferring. I know it helped me.

I was in a similar situation. I was selected for Chief after having received "tentative" orders to instructor duty. When I called the detailer he informed me that I would not be given other orders even though the instructor billet was for a FCPO. If you are in, or slated for, an instructor billet you can expect to fill that billet until PRD.

Guest Squidly

I have another general question for the forum (grats to all those who responded to my FLTRES question).

How much does the size of the command play a role (if any) during the selection process? 

It was a hot topic last year around here. We had around 10% of SBEs for my rate locally, with a goose egg on selected. Everyone was up in arms. @CPO_Pride247's comment earlier about numbers selected at a relatively small command reminded me of this topic.

I've seen both ways. 75% of a single rate SBE selected at a command of less than 60 total strength, while an echelon 1 command that has more than a 10th of SBEs has a 0% selection for a single rate.

Does the board take any of this into account? For example, a fully qualified individual (can't remember the wording from the precepts/convening orders) in a critical billet gets a bump or tie-breaker over another fully qualified, equal scored sailor.

Hope I explained it right.

Guest OldSalt
18 minutes ago, Squidly said:

How much does the size of the command play a role (if any) during the selection process? 

Not sure what your question is referring to. Is it more along the line of: Is it better to be #1 out of 5 or #1 out of 100? Or, are you asking the commands that have 5 sailors assigned to it more or less likely to have someone selected than a command with 100?

Guest Blankslate
3 hours ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

That would depend on how much time he currently has in service. If he has only been in for a certain amount of year, then yes he would have to wait until he has 14 years of service. If he is within 14 and 22 years of service there is no wait. LDO is 8-14 years of service and commissioning must be complete by the 14 year mark unless you're a nuclear rating.

He's rounding 15. He just did his last re-enlistment a few months ago

Guest Blankslate
Just now, CPO_Pride247 said:

He would be eligible upon putting anchors on then. I considered Warrant, but as a supply person I can't see myself being a Food Service Officer. They did away with supply warrants a few years back. That's God's way of telling me to just be an awesome Chief and continue to do what I am doing.

He wants to go Warrant. His Chief mentor and his friends who have made chief have been encouraging him to go CWO if he picks up. 

Guest FCC_Thawk
1 hour ago, navyordie123 said:

There are a lot of prior instructors on here. being an instructor was the most rewarding tour for me yet. I would love to go back and teach again. Hopefully the prior instructors have their MTS and for those on instructor duty now, please don't leave there with out it.

I'm the MTS coordinator at my command. Although it's not mandatory, you'll shoot yourself in the foot of you leave instructor duty without MTS. 

Guest HawkISback
4 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

The Navy's twitter account posts them as well. Great site as well that provides a lot of good information. All hands is an awesome site. I like to read the articles. If no one hasn't done so I also recommend going on the JAG's website and looking at the results of trial. A good thing to share with your Sailors as well. Show them how easily we can go off track and how the Navy will act swiftly and hold people accountable who do not live up to Honor, Courage, and Commitment.

As CMEO I email them out to the my command, it's now part of the climate survey if you share them. Pretty crazy cases.  

Guest Squidly
1 hour ago, OneLastDance said:

Not sure what your question is referring to. Is it more along the line of: Is it better to be #1 out of 5 or #1 out of 100? Or, are you asking the commands that have 5 sailors assigned to it more or less likely to have someone selected than a command with 100?

Nothing to do with eval rankings or peer breakouts, more about the size of the command.  

Guest HawkISback
1 minute ago, NavyAEforlife said:

I've got my bets placed on Wednesday-Triad; and Thursday- NAVADMIN.  We shall see! 

If they don't come out next week we are going to need that aid station on vulture row. 

Guest Squidly
1 hour ago, Donkey Racer said:

No matter what the ranking states (1of1, 2of50, or 3of1000) the write up has to provide the real evidence. Most of the questions like these are circumstantial and would maybe come into play for some ratings but not others. There is no hard and fast rule that says because you were 1of30 you go to the top of the ranking pile.

Is that clear as mud?

I agree 1000%.  I think there's too much emphasis put on being ranked an EP.  If your writeups say you're a middle of the road performer, it doesn't matter what box is checked on the bottom of the eval or how far above the summary average you are. 

Not taking anything away from the EPs, SOYs, etc that have the block 43 to justify it.  It's not a magic bullet to number one or a shoe in by any means.  I've learned that the hard way.

Guest iamevilradio
11 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

I agree with you. I write all my EVALs to an EP 5.0 standard. I also make sure I am doing the items required in a 5.0 to justify it. Sometimes we can do everything and still for some reason not have that EP checked on the EVAL. What we can do is ensure our EVALs are written to the EP standard as well as to our own liking. Yes, there will be chops as it goes up, but in the end we know the work we did and we know what we are entitled to when it comes to our performance being documented. Always keep a copy of the EVAL you submitted up your Chain of Command as a reference when signing your EVAL. One thing I have learned as well is to write my EVAL like it is coming from my CO. I use the word MY throughout the EVAL to make it more personable. Sometimes we get too caught up in using our name or he/she. Remember, your EVAL is your CO documenting your performance and is coming from He/She.

Thanks for the insight on this for the write-ups. I'm one of those people that can write fantastic evals for others, but I always struggle when talking about my own accomplishments. I think most people have a tendency to downplay themselves. I usually write my body and let my Chief write my opener and closer. I am curious though how much those openers and closers mean to a board though. 

Guest PS1_Flo

This forum has kept me sane the past week or so, but I'm logging off for the weekend. I need to spend some quality time with my daughter just in case I get the S. I wish everyone a very happy weekend and I'll be back on Monday! 

Guest Blankslate
4 minutes ago, Forth13 said:

I should totally be studying for my Physics final next week....but I'm trolling this website on a Friday night.

Right there with you. I have a corporate finance final on Wednesday and it's one of those "make it or break it" classes where if you don't make at least a 3.0 overall in the class they have a conversation with you about changing your major. Right now I have a very low 'A' in the class and still have 1 bonus assignment I haven't finished this week. 

Guest Blankslate

@Forth13 I had a bad test 2 (stock and bond valuation). The good news is this should be the only corporate finance class I need to take (really don't want to think about standard deviations again after this class is over). So long as I don't completely bomb this last test (doing much better on capital budgeting) I should end with my low A. 

Guest Blankslate

Gonna go be an accountant somewhere. Right now I do VITA on base during tax season and I am working towards becoming a financial counselor so once I get my degree I can be a PFM at fleet and family.