Forum | Advancement | Career | Veteran | Bases | Enlisted Portal

ITC(IW/SW/AW)

FY17 Chief Selection Board

Rate this topic

2,916 posts in this topic

I'm pretty much sold on going SPECWAR for my next tour, regardless if I get selected or not.  Coming back to an office job for this tour makes me want to go out again.  Would love a chance at getting that EXW.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, NavyChic2003 said:

I haven't updated any forms from NSIPS :-/ My EVALS, education, awards (OMPF) and PSR all had the correct information, so I didn't think about it.  One thing I did notice, when you pull the qual history on NSIPS it doesn't include qualifications from your local command.  I'm in aviation and we use an online database, ASM, for all  of our qualifications.  That information uploads to NSIPS, but when you pull the report it doesn't put it on there.  I emailed NSIPS and they said that's how the program was designed... all of my qualifications are listed in my EVALS and documented... hope that was enough.

Same thing happened to me when I was trying to update mine. At first no one realized that happened when you pulled your enlisted data summary. A buddy of mine that's super good with adobe pro formatted it to look like it came from NSIPS and I added it as an enclosure. The best I could have done at that time I suppose. I feel your pain though. The Navy is trying to use 4 different systems to keep your record up to date. It isn't very effective in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

That's a good question. I tried to transfer once I was selected, but since I was on a special duty (instructor) billet I wasn't allowed. You also have to look at the new way the Navy is doing detailing with billet based distribution. BBD has many benefits for personnel distribution.  Most notably, it aligns every distributable enlisted Sailor to a Navy position and provides an accurate demand signal needed to maximize Rating and Navy Enlisted Classification (NEC) "Fit" across the fleet.  BBD also optimizes the Sailor assignment process and ensures efficient utilization of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) and Temporary Duty under Instruction (TDI) resources.  For future planning purposes, it also provides the capability to have a more accurate Integrated Production Plan (IPP).

With that being said, you may be in a particular billet that requires your specialty and you will stay where you are. It really depends on what the Navy needs at this time. I have seen people stay and I have seen people get transferred. If you are trying to stay, you probably shouldn't pick up the phone and contact your detailer and put yourself on the radar.

Thanks for the information Chief! And trust me, I'll keep my hands off the phone for now. I just don't want my command to tell me that I shouldn't be filling this billet as a Chief. It's a joint command and the Army as two E-7's doing this job, I don't see why the Navy can't allow the same. Maybe we expect more from our senior leadership.

Pensacola is nice. We even have a convention when it's not 100 degrees outside called Pensacon which is on it's way to being the San Diego comic con of the east coast! 

99 pages...

:graphics-3d-smileys-986177:

1 person likes this

55 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

Instructor duty was by far my most rewarding tour so far in the Navy. One of the reasons is I was in joint schoolhouse teaching Sailors, Marines, Airmen, and Soldiers straight out of boot camp. They were all so eager to serve their country and brought a really refreshing attitude and motivation with them. I was also able to instruct senior members of all the branches during this time for a different course which really reminded me of how much tradition and honor we place on joining the senior enlisted ranks. I would recommend trying to get to a joint schoolhouse in order to be exposed to the different cultures of the military.

I agree with you, I was an instructor at the Weapons School on the East Coast and I loved it. it opened my eyes to so much information and got to meet so many different types of people. I was also able to get my MTS which is a really good thing. but probably one of the hardest quals that I have ever gotten.

3 people like this

It's nice to just sit down, drink a beer and read the forums.  I'm getting good a lot of good advice and knowing I'm not the only one stressing is comforting.  Any CTN's on here?

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, NavyPride34 said:

It's nice to just sit down, drink a beer and read the forums.  I'm getting good a lot of good advice and knowing I'm not the only one stressing is comforting.  Any CTN's on here?

There's definitely a few of us in here sweating because of how close we are to the results coming out.:wacko:

I'm surprised that the schedule for release hasn't happened yet. I was expecting it to come out sometime today. 

3 people like this

2 hours ago, Cyber_IT said:

Decided to finally stop lurking after about 2 1/2 weeks and join the fun!

5th time taking the exam, first time SBE. And I can honestly say I haven't been nervous about getting the S one ounce. All my career I've gone into every exam with the mindset of "if it's my time, I'll get selected." When I was a 2nd Class for 9 years before I put on 1st Class, but I didn't feel I was ready to be a first class for a long time. Once I felt like I was ready, I put it on after three exam cycles. Now I feel the same way about making Chief. From 2009 to 2013, I felt like I wasn't ready. Now I do, and I'm on exam cycle number three again. If I have the same luck as I did before, that will be great. If not, try again in January.

I do have one question for the Chief's of the group....

If I do get selected, do I HAVE to transfer to another command or is it up to my command/detailer?

Not a Chief myself so just want to say, GO HORNS!!!

1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, NavyPride34 said:

Any CTN's on here?

Pshaaaw.  Isn't that one of those rates where all the 7-year CPOs live?

I'm just jealous, wish I had advancement %s like that.

Good luck!  And, yes - there are a few "N's" on here.

All this talk about college football is raising my blood pressure.  Of course the only team that really matters are The Wolverines.  #MgoBlue

Just about every respectable sports authority places them as one of the favorites for next season's champ. Vegas odds only have them Elephants with a better over/under.

2 people like this

The CMC at shipyard in San Diego told all the Chiefs that a PRT will be conducted next Friday--so Aug 3rd is pretty promising. There's your rumor for the day :sxmas_100-138:

2 people like this

Just now, DeepSea5342 said:

The CMC at shipyard in San Diego told all the Chiefs that a PRT will be conducted next Friday--so Aug 3rd is pretty promising. There's your rumor for the day :sxmas_100-138:

I think they're depending on our intel to schedule their activities.

:128_1:

3 people like this

28 minutes ago, DeepSea5342 said:

Let the games begin( que hunger games music ) lol 

2 people like this

You reach 100.

:graphics-3d-smileys-986177: 

2 people like this

we have done it!!! reached our goal of at least 100!!!! I think that my goal of 120 is going to get blown up!!!

3 people like this

I stand by my prediction of 110 by sunday night

3 people like this

1 minute ago, Blankslate said:

I stand by my prediction of 110 by sunday night

I think that might even get beat the way we are going.

We need to muster everyone back on the forum for a "page 100" party. Beers on.... @Vape83!

:128_2:

5 people like this

8 minutes ago, NavyAEforlife said:

I just tried to pull my Performance Continuity Report on BOL; and it is saying "A General Error Has Occurred.  If the problem persists, please contact the BOL Help Desk at (901) 874-4717."   I think someone in Millington is doing something with the system......

I had to try. Same error on my end.

4 people like this

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

We need to muster everyone back on the forum for a "page 100" party. Beers on.... @Vape83!

:128_2:

I'm here with a cold one!! Finally reached 100!! I agree @navyordie123, I think we will blow past that 120 mark by the release.

2 people like this

Just now, HM8432 said:

I had to try. Same error on my end.

any error messages?

12 minutes ago, NavyAEforlife said:

I just tried to pull my Performance Continuity Report on BOL; and it is saying "A General Error Has Occurred.  If the problem persists, please contact the BOL Help Desk at (901) 874-4717."   I think someone in Millington is doing something with the system......

Works for me. 

9 minutes ago, NavyAEforlife said:

can we get a few others to confirm?