FY17 Chief Selection Board

Just now, HM8432 said:

@Tony I was looking for a good place to post the updated NEAS Brief. I sat in on the brief from two Senior Chiefs recently, a lot of useful information that is worth sharing, regarding the Navy Advancement System from "behind the curtain" so to speak. I didn't see it posted anywhere yet, if it has been my apologies. It can be found on NKO>Navy Advancement Center>AERR>NEAS.  

NEAS_Brief_07222016.pptx

I don't have that one either, thanks. I posted @fryeguy67's link on the education page of NavyAdvancement.com and I will post your brief on the front page of the website. Not sure why I don't have it, thanks again.

Guest HM8432
2 minutes ago, Tony said:

I don't have that one either, thanks. I posted @fryeguy67's link on the education page of NavyAdvancement.com and I will post your brief on the front page of the website. Not sure why I don't have it, thanks again.

No problem. Sorry it took me 4 years to finally give something back ;)!

Guest navyordie123

Ok so during awards quarters today, CO put out that Chiefs results would be out next week  and that we would be receiving phone calls even if we made it or not. Going with the 3rd!!

16 hours ago, Tony said:

I appreciate you sharing this @Ordy, it is not redundant at all and I'm sure someone will benefit. 

Also, you don't seem as angry as last year. I really hope you get this one. I didn't know you did so much stuff career-wise! :)

Thanks Tony, that means a lot.  It's been a rough 5 years on this forum.  Lot's of disappointment.  Last year really bothered me and I kind of went off, it seems you remember that... I was about to throw in the towel last year and just ride it out, but I got some good encouragement from a friend so I kept going.  It's really tough when you see people who just don't deserve it move up.  Case in point, there was this guy I served with on my 09 cruise who was caught doing bad business with a junior Sailor in a shop, though it didn't go too far apparently, i.e. first base stuff...  The junior Sailors came to me because they were afraid to talk to this fellow first.  I took the information to my Chief and we had a long discussion about it.  I had tried to speak reason to this guy previously, but he didn't listen.  So the Chief asked me plainly, do you think this is something we need to go down and discuss with security or is this something you think the Chief's can handle.  I advised that I didn't want to see his career ruined over a poor decision.  They handled it in the Chief's mess, he reported to the mess decks to be the MAA and he didn't have to go home.  He was an arrogant jerk and apparently continued to be one.  The type that would step on others to get to the top.  Well ... guess who's name was on the list last year?  I couldn't help but think, if I had just walked down to security and reported it ...  What if I was on the top of the "N" pile?  That ate away at me for a while.  I finally came to the conclusion that no matter how much of a dirtbag this guy was, I trusted my Chief's to handle it and they must have seen something in him. 

The good news was that i saw my best friend in the Navy pick up Chief.  We have shared almost every command since I joined the Navy in 2000.  So him picking up was worth it!!!  I have four years left.  I am not as worried about it this year as previous ones.  Will I be pissed if i don't make it?  Yeah, but it will solidify a lot of plans for my future and that is a good thing as well.  I need to start focusing on retirement if I don't get selected, God has His plan for me and that is the most important thing I can realize.  

2 hours ago, Forth13 said:

What's your opinion on those in commissioning programs (I.E. STA-21, MECP, etc) being selected for Chief while in the program? I saw this happen last year with an HMC who was in the MECP.

Waste of a quota, or perfectly reasonable?

Belay my last... I just reread that.  I do not think that the board members have access to that information.  I know in some cases you can be invalidated for participating in some of these programs, I don't remember the reference...  One thing to consider is that people selected to some of these programs will have a long wait until they actually receive their commission.  Going through phase II will make them better officers in the long run, so I don't think this is a waste.  CWO/LDO wait about a year just to go to school.  That is a long time to learn how the  CPO mess works.  This will be invaluable to an Officer when they have to deal with the goat locker on a daily basis...

@Ordy I'm at something like a year and 10 months from retirement, and I still haven't figured what I'm gonna do when I grow up.  Your post made me think that I really need to poo or get off the pot.  So far the only plans I have for after retirement is a through hike with some family of the John Muir trail.  Of course if the stars align, and I get the S this cycle (or next) then that plan will change and I get a few extra years to figure out what I wanna do with my life.

Guest 343SBE

105 pages in a matter of hours...seems that way to me since I've been on the plane and still not done traveling...anyhow, I totally missed the mark on 27 July, but hey I'd guess it again...by process of elimination, it's next week or bust...good luck to all my brothers and sisters out there as I'm sure I'll be busy with the new command stuff...

Guest OS1/CCC

I know I am late with this, but just got the ability to log in. My OMPF on BOL hasnt worked since about July 20th. I logged in to check the status like others did earlier today and for board status still that big fat "N" from last year. I was able to get into OMPF, but both sections had the same errors as reported earlier. So no news is good news right? SBE's that are able, please enjoy your last weekend of freedom with your families. lol.

Guest OS1/CCC
5 hours ago, navyordie123 said:

Ok so during awards quarters today, CO put out that Chiefs results would be out next week  and that we would be receiving phone calls even if we made it or not. Going with the 3rd!!

still going with my AUG 3 prediction as well. lol

Guest HawkISback
8 hours ago, Tony said:

@Blondie called @HawkISback a bird turd and a big fight started with 45% republicans backing Blondie and 50% democrats backing Hawk.

:128_8:

Sorry I missed the fun. My wife and I was at hurricane ridge stargazing and photo shoot. So cool to see milky way and all those stars. If anyone is in PNW highly reccomend it.  I also say the international space station.  Not bad for a hick from the sticks.

Guest Squidly
9 hours ago, Forth13 said:

**Throw Back**

Who remembers the Duty Swap tab in BOL?

Did anyone successfully do a duty swap using it?

I cross-decked using that to stay at sea. Offered up my shiny new shore orders for it.

7 hours ago, Ordy said:

Thanks Tony, that means a lot.  It's been a rough 5 years on this forum.  Lot's of disappointment.  Last year really bothered me and I kind of went off, it seems you remember that... I was about to throw in the towel last year and just ride it out, but I got some good encouragement from a friend so I kept going.  It's really tough when you see people who just don't deserve it move up.  Case in point, there was this guy I served with on my 09 cruise who was caught doing bad business with a junior Sailor in a shop, though it didn't go too far apparently, i.e. first base stuff...  The junior Sailors came to me because they were afraid to talk to this fellow first.  I took the information to my Chief and we had a long discussion about it.  I had tried to speak reason to this guy previously, but he didn't listen.  So the Chief asked me plainly, do you think this is something we need to go down and discuss with security or is this something you think the Chief's can handle.  I advised that I didn't want to see his career ruined over a poor decision.  They handled it in the Chief's mess, he reported to the mess decks to be the MAA and he didn't have to go home.  He was an arrogant jerk and apparently continued to be one.  The type that would step on others to get to the top.  Well ... guess who's name was on the list last year?  I couldn't help but think, if I had just walked down to security and reported it ...  What if I was on the top of the "N" pile?  That ate away at me for a while.  I finally came to the conclusion that no matter how much of a dirtbag this guy was, I trusted my Chief's to handle it and they must have seen something in him. 

The good news was that i saw my best friend in the Navy pick up Chief.  We have shared almost every command since I joined the Navy in 2000.  So him picking up was worth it!!!  I have four years left.  I am not as worried about it this year as previous ones.  Will I be pissed if i don't make it?  Yeah, but it will solidify a lot of plans for my future and that is a good thing as well.  I need to start focusing on retirement if I don't get selected, God has His plan for me and that is the most important thing I can realize.  

Well whatever you do, please continue to focus on making Chief. As you and I know, action and deeds are the stuff that make Chief but documenting it is what shows the board what you are made of.

~ Fingers and toes crossed that you get the coveted S this FY! 

2 hours ago, HawkISback said:

Sorry I missed the fun. My wife and I was at hurricane ridge stargazing and photo shoot. So cool to see milky way and all those stars. If anyone is in PNW highly reccomend it.  I also say the international space station.  Not bad for a hick from the sticks.

No worries, I defended your honor since you were gone and @Blondie kicked my teeth into last FY. 

:graphics-3d-smileys-649761:

Seriously, I'm glad you got to do the stargazing. It's always amazing peering at something that is so big and far away. What is PNW? Now I'm curious. 

1 hour ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

We are rolling into our last weekend before the results are released. I know I have posted this before you some of you are probably like, uh yeah we get it, but please spend time with your families this weekend, do whatever hobbies you like, and get plenty of rest. If anything, do it for them. They supported you this far, so spend that last weekend before your overwhelmed, tired, away, and just don't seem to have the focus spending time with the people who really matter.

I will say this one more time as well. If you are or are not selected and you need someone to talk to, give feedback, or whatever while in phase II or preparing for phase I do not hesitate to contact me.

Folks, I do hope you take this offer up to network with CPO_Pride247. Even if it's as simple as "hello" it will be most beneficial in that you are communicating outside of your comfort zone at your command with someone who is very knowledgeable about the Navy and a nice human being too!

Just now, SeaTeaArgh said:

Adooodooo!!!

Very good seateaargH, 

It's nice you are practicing your consonants & bowel movements. Now go sit in the corner for another time out. Later on we'll have a laugh at your expense by having you walk the plank! 

Goo boy!!
:graphics-3d-smileys-348145:

Guest NavyPride34

I'm thinking release information will come out on Monday with. Triad release on Wednesday and BOL release on Thursday.

Guest Old_Salt_ITC

After reading the last 8 pages since I left the forum yesterday, I feel the need to share.

1st - If a discrepancy exists, or you are missing anything from NSIPS/OMPF, or any other online data store, do not wait until the last minute to get the discrepancy fixed. The boards do not wait until convening to pull the information for the board members to review. When the test results come out, the supporting staff for the boards start pulling record data on Sailors who have made board. Do not expect the board to see something that was updated online just before the board convenes. If you are missing anything by the time you take the advancement exam, submit it as an enclosure in your LTB.

2nd - Reading the post from the embarked Air and Staff personnel about "hiding during GQ" made me feel sorry for you. You are looking at GQ as a chance to get out of something rather than the opportunity it truly is. How many aviation and staff personnel are members of a repair locker, or better yet, DCTT? Wouldn't that stand out to the board that you are actually contributing to the welfare of the ship you are riding and getting quals WAY OUTSIDE your comfort zone? I know it would stand out to me if I was sitting the board. You can chalk it up as a missed opportunity and carry on, or maybe you can step up and add something unique to your package for next year. Your Choice!

Look around and see what you can do to turn every situation into an opportunity to improve your chances of being selected. If you do, you will not have any regrets about missed opportunities. 

Good luck to everyone!

May the "S" be with you!

Guest AMC Hopeful
6 minutes ago, NavyPride34 said:

I'm thinking release information will come out on Monday with. Triad release on Wednesday and BOL release on Thursday.

I'm with you, but here's to hoping we might hear something today.

18 minutes ago, Blankslate said:

So who wants to give me the odds of us getting release information today? 

This is what I think:

~ People see error messages in Bol/ Database updated (?) - lastnight/ today 

~ Media release of timeline - Monday

~ Triad gets results - Aug 3

~ People see their N dissapear/ screen doing funny stuff - don't remember, but I think it's right before see their results in BOL.

~ Results released to public, Sailors see N or S in bol - 24hrs after Triad release

? denotes I'm not sure if that was the actual update

17 minutes ago, Old_Salt_ITC said:

After reading the last 8 pages since I left the forum yesterday, I feel the need to share.

1st - If a discrepancy exists, or you are missing anything from NSIPS/OMPF, or any other online data store, do not wait until the last minute to get the discrepancy fixed. The boards do not wait until convening to pull the information for the board members to review. When the test results come out, the supporting staff for the boards start pulling record data on Sailors who have made board. Do not expect the board to see something that was updated online just before the board convenes. If you are missing anything by the time you take the advancement exam, submit it as an enclosure in your LTB.

2nd - Reading the post from the embarked Air and Staff personnel about "hiding during GQ" made me feel sorry for you. You are looking at GQ as a chance to get out of something rather than the opportunity it truly is. How many aviation and staff personnel are members of a repair locker, or better yet, DCTT? Wouldn't that stand out to the board that you are actually contributing to the welfare of the ship you are riding and getting quals WAY OUTSIDE your comfort zone? I know it would stand out to me if I was sitting the board. You can chalk it up as a missed opportunity and carry on, or maybe you can step up and add something unique to your package for next year. Your Choice!

Look around and see what you can do to turn every situation into an opportunity to improve your chances of being selected. If you do, you will not have any regrets about missed opportunities. 

Good luck to everyone!

May the "S" be with you!

Thank you for this great post @Old_Salt_ITC

Guest OrdieDevilDolphin

So yesterday when alot of people were getting the error message on the continuity page, I checked mine and it was working fine.  This morning I am now getting the error, along with my OMPF still not working.