FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest Riverine Rat
5 minutes ago, NavyAEforlife said:

I included my Member Data Summary as well.  During several Chief/Senior Chief/Master Chiefs reviewing my record, some agreed it should be there; and some asked why I was including it.  Ultimately I decided to include it, along with Enlisted Qual History, History of Assignments, and Awards page- because my OMPF hasn't been updated for ANY of these forms, since 2008-2009 (Not even when I reenlisted in 2010). 

I was in the same boat and included them as well. Having PCS'd in Feb and going to school and not checking into my command until May I felt it would be a good idea to submit them. Glad I did as they are still not reflected in my OMPF and had to have my new admin dep resubmit the information to get it updated.

Just now, navyordie123 said:

i think the forum might be kind of quiet this weekend due to it being the last weekend before the results come out. but i think come Monday morning that it will pick up again.

Not quiet but not mega busy either (I hope).

Guest navyordie123
Just now, Tony said:

Not quiet but not mega busy either (I hope).

yeah your right, it should be steady, but not super busy. im gonna try and stay focused on the family this weekend and poke around here a couple times this weekend to see what's going on and see if any new rumors have surfaced.

Guest USNAO1AWSW
11 minutes ago, NavyAEforlife said:

I included my Member Data Summary as well.  During several Chief/Senior Chief/Master Chiefs reviewing my record, some agreed it should be there; and some asked why I was including it.  Ultimately I decided to include it, along with Enlisted Qual History, History of Assignments, and Awards page- because my OMPF hasn't been updated for ANY of these forms, since 2008-2009 (Not even when I reenlisted in 2010). 

Yeah, it sucks that you have to worry so much about other people either not doing their job or messing up your record. It is what it is. We just have to keep scrubbing it to make sure it stays on track and nothing else happens to it. For example, someone else's info or awards getting added to your record which I have seen happen to someone.

Guest HM8404

I'll be checking in here and there. The weekend is mostly going to be focusing on the BBQ competition that my wife and I are competing in.

Guest OldSalt
16 minutes ago, HM8404 said:

I'll be checking in here and there. The weekend is mostly going to be focusing on the BBQ competition that my wife and I are competing in.

Good luck! What categories are you competing in?

Guest HM8404
Just now, OneLastDance said:

Good luck! What categories are you competing in?

Thanks! It's a KCBS event so it will include brisket, pork, pork ribs, and chicken. My wife is doing a dessert category entry.

Guest OldSalt
5 minutes ago, HM8404 said:

brisket, pork, pork ribs, and chicken

5 minutes ago, HM8404 said:

dessert

MMmmmmmmmm! Brisket....Pork.....Pork Ribs.....Chicken.....Dessert..... Mmmmm!

Guest NavyChic2003

I haven't updated any forms from NSIPS :-/ My EVALS, education, awards (OMPF) and PSR all had the correct information, so I didn't think about it.  One thing I did notice, when you pull the qual history on NSIPS it doesn't include qualifications from your local command.  I'm in aviation and we use an online database, ASM, for all  of our qualifications.  That information uploads to NSIPS, but when you pull the report it doesn't put it on there.  I emailed NSIPS and they said that's how the program was designed... all of my qualifications are listed in my EVALS and documented... hope that was enough.

Guest CWO2 RRP 782X
40 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

Come Monday the amount of nerves and expectations is going to bring this forum to another level. The good news is @Tony is well seasoned in this time of year and has his plan for it.

I'd say the last 24 hours have definitely brought the forum to a new level as well. Saw lots of good discussion topics brought up from LTBs to submitting Items from NSIPS. This is why I LOVE this forum. so much knowledge and experience is here it is truly invaluable all the input one can find here!!

Guest Cyber_IT

Decided to finally stop lurking after about 2 1/2 weeks and join the fun!

5th time taking the exam, first time SBE. And I can honestly say I haven't been nervous about getting the S one ounce. All my career I've gone into every exam with the mindset of "if it's my time, I'll get selected." When I was a 2nd Class for 9 years before I put on 1st Class, but I didn't feel I was ready to be a first class for a long time. Once I felt like I was ready, I put it on after three exam cycles. Now I feel the same way about making Chief. From 2009 to 2013, I felt like I wasn't ready. Now I do, and I'm on exam cycle number three again. If I have the same luck as I did before, that will be great. If not, try again in January.

I do have one question for the Chief's of the group....

If I do get selected, do I HAVE to transfer to another command or is it up to my command/detailer?

Guest Jason Jarsquid
7 minutes ago, Cyber_IT said:

Decided to finally stop lurking after about 2 1/2 weeks and join the fun!

5th time taking the exam, first time SBE. And I can honestly say I haven't been nervous about getting the S one ounce. All my career I've gone into every exam with the mindset of "if it's my time, I'll get selected." When I was a 2nd Class for 9 years before I put on 1st Class, but I didn't feel I was ready to be a first class for a long time. Once I felt like I was ready, I put it on after three exam cycles. Now I feel the same way about making Chief. From 2009 to 2013, I felt like I wasn't ready. Now I do, and I'm on exam cycle number three again. If I have the same luck as I did before, that will be great. If not, try again in January.

I do have one question for the Chief's of the group....

If I do get selected, do I HAVE to transfer to another command or is it up to my command/detailer?

I might be in a similar situation as you. I know you were asking this question of the Chiefs here but I asked the same question to my chain of commend here where I am. And they said it all depends on two things - if there is a billet available and if the detailer lets me move over to that billet. Thankfully, there are two billets available here that I can possibly move into. I hope that helps.

Guest Cyber_IT

Thanks for the response. I'm at a Det right now with only 5 people, a Senior Chief, 2 First Classes and 2 Second Classes. The plan is for our Det to downsize to only two bodies, a Chief and a First Class once it's time for us all to rotate. Seeing as this is only my second time on shore duty in 17 years, I would like to stay where I'm at for the next two years, but I don't see that happening. :(

Guest Jason Jarsquid

I recommend instructor duty, if you haven't done that yet. I just left instructor duty a few months back and it was a blast.

Guest AlphaMaleOne
7 hours ago, Squidly said:

One enclosure. It was a memo from my detailer saying they broke my rotation for the needs of the Navy.

Sometimes the chips don't fall in your favor and you have a new qual or something just before the board convenes - otherwise you're just wasting paper pointing out the fact that your record is not up to date. LTBs are not a bad thing, they exist because we don't operate in a utopian organization. BUT, if it's a missing xyz from two years ago - you probably should have done your personal diligence and fixed it then. Just my $0.02.

This is how I see it too.  Ever since my first year SBE I have always kept on top of my OMPF.  I reenlisted in march this year for another 6 and soon as the papers were signed I was in admin every day to get my record updated.  Only items I sent in the LTB was what I got after my record had been updated.

Guest Squidly

Accidentally got copied on an email today saying that the CPO-sel reservists from the local area are expected to be on station sometime during the 3rd.

Take that at face value.

Guest Jason Jarsquid
16 minutes ago, Squidly said:

Accidentally got copied on an email today saying that the CPO-sel reservists from the local area are expected to be on station sometime during the 3rd.

Take that at face value.

What area?

Guest Cyber_IT
33 minutes ago, Jason Jarsquid said:

I recommend instructor duty, if you haven't done that yet. I just left instructor duty a few months back and it was a blast.

Only if it's in San Diego, I'm pretty sure my wife won't let me go to Pensacola!

Guest CTN(IW/SW)

I'm pretty much sold on going SPECWAR for my next tour, regardless if I get selected or not.  Coming back to an office job for this tour makes me want to go out again.  Would love a chance at getting that EXW.

Guest bocktagon
1 hour ago, NavyChic2003 said:

I haven't updated any forms from NSIPS :-/ My EVALS, education, awards (OMPF) and PSR all had the correct information, so I didn't think about it.  One thing I did notice, when you pull the qual history on NSIPS it doesn't include qualifications from your local command.  I'm in aviation and we use an online database, ASM, for all  of our qualifications.  That information uploads to NSIPS, but when you pull the report it doesn't put it on there.  I emailed NSIPS and they said that's how the program was designed... all of my qualifications are listed in my EVALS and documented... hope that was enough.

Same thing happened to me when I was trying to update mine. At first no one realized that happened when you pulled your enlisted data summary. A buddy of mine that's super good with adobe pro formatted it to look like it came from NSIPS and I added it as an enclosure. The best I could have done at that time I suppose. I feel your pain though. The Navy is trying to use 4 different systems to keep your record up to date. It isn't very effective in my opinion.

Guest Cyber_IT
2 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

That's a good question. I tried to transfer once I was selected, but since I was on a special duty (instructor) billet I wasn't allowed. You also have to look at the new way the Navy is doing detailing with billet based distribution. BBD has many benefits for personnel distribution.  Most notably, it aligns every distributable enlisted Sailor to a Navy position and provides an accurate demand signal needed to maximize Rating and Navy Enlisted Classification (NEC) "Fit" across the fleet.  BBD also optimizes the Sailor assignment process and ensures efficient utilization of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) and Temporary Duty under Instruction (TDI) resources.  For future planning purposes, it also provides the capability to have a more accurate Integrated Production Plan (IPP).

With that being said, you may be in a particular billet that requires your specialty and you will stay where you are. It really depends on what the Navy needs at this time. I have seen people stay and I have seen people get transferred. If you are trying to stay, you probably shouldn't pick up the phone and contact your detailer and put yourself on the radar.

Thanks for the information Chief! And trust me, I'll keep my hands off the phone for now. I just don't want my command to tell me that I shouldn't be filling this billet as a Chief. It's a joint command and the Army as two E-7's doing this job, I don't see why the Navy can't allow the same. Maybe we expect more from our senior leadership.

Guest Blankslate

Pensacola is nice. We even have a convention when it's not 100 degrees outside called Pensacon which is on it's way to being the San Diego comic con of the east coast! 

Guest navyordie123
55 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

Instructor duty was by far my most rewarding tour so far in the Navy. One of the reasons is I was in joint schoolhouse teaching Sailors, Marines, Airmen, and Soldiers straight out of boot camp. They were all so eager to serve their country and brought a really refreshing attitude and motivation with them. I was also able to instruct senior members of all the branches during this time for a different course which really reminded me of how much tradition and honor we place on joining the senior enlisted ranks. I would recommend trying to get to a joint schoolhouse in order to be exposed to the different cultures of the military.

I agree with you, I was an instructor at the Weapons School on the East Coast and I loved it. it opened my eyes to so much information and got to meet so many different types of people. I was also able to get my MTS which is a really good thing. but probably one of the hardest quals that I have ever gotten.

Guest NavyPride34

It's nice to just sit down, drink a beer and read the forums.  I'm getting good a lot of good advice and knowing I'm not the only one stressing is comforting.  Any CTN's on here?