FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest Blankslate

Do any of you look at the membership when the Quotas come out? We looked at this year's membership for the board and noticed that there was only 1 senior chief from my husband's rate on the board and one senior chief who was an assistant recorder. Is it normal for there to be only one Chief/Senior/Master Chief on the board for a particular rate? 

Guest NAVYGUY209
8 minutes ago, Blankslate said:

Do any of you look at the membership when the Quotas come out? We looked at this year's membership for the board and noticed that there was only 1 senior chief from my husband's rate on the board and one senior chief who was an assistant recorder. Is it normal for there to be only one Chief/Senior/Master Chief on the board for a particular rate? 

This is my first year up but I looked at this year and previous year's. I did this to see if there was someone I know I could send my package too and to look at the LS's on board for the same reason. Edit: Realized I didn't answer the question but I know we only had 5 Master Chief's for us with 564 LS1's make board. Maybe it's a numbers thing

Guest LDOpurposesonly

I can't believe the wait is almost over. I've dreamed of this day since I joined the Navy 6 years ago! Good luck to everyone!

#nukesrule

Guest HMC(FMF/SW/AW/IW)
30 minutes ago, AlphaMaleOne said:

i only sent 3 enclosures, JPME, PPME, and my SFF designation letter

This is a copy of my Career Summary I sent in and a list of my enclosures. I am anxiously awaiting for the results. Good luck to all SBEs!!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Guest NAVYGUY209
10 minutes ago, mikecLS1 said:

New member been trolling for the last couple weeks, A lot of good information on here.

Welcome and glad to see another LS1 in here!!!!

Guest CWO2 RRP 782X

I am also mixed about Career Summary, just because of the different points of view I have heard. This year I chose not to submit one. Last year I did submit one. Not using that as a reason I didn't make it, but this year, I strictly adhered to sending in information that was missing from my record only. I only submitted a recent NAM, SEJPME Certificate, and Journeyman Communication Core (NEC 2379) Certificate. I did also submit an updated Qualifications page since the one in my OMPF was outdated as it is only updated on reenlistments. The ones I have seen here are well done and have a clean presentation, so I certainly hope that they will help you all out. Classic saying, if you feel it is important to your package, submit it! That's what my last CMC told me!

Guest OldSalt
9 minutes ago, AlphaMaleOne said:

I have always been told the more enclosures you send the board shows you are not keeping your records up to date or you are forgetting to add things to your evals that should be in there..  If I send an enclosure for something I make sure it is put into my record as well.

Yes, No, and Kind-of. For the most part there has been a consensus reached that the personnel record keeping system for the Navy is not perfect. Some still look at it the way you have been hearing. And, some of the people with that mind set do sit boards. On the flip side there are people sitting on boards that are dealing with getting their own records straightened out for years. And, have sailors going through the same thing. For, the most part it is understood that a particular sailor has only so much they can do before they have to rely on someone else. If that person does not do it right than they sailor is stuck trying again and again until it sticks. Things pop up and things go missing. That is one of the reasons that the LTB  exists. There are also considerations like some is attached to a remote sight without any personnel administration support near by. You could well expect their record to have more errors. A YN1 that is attached to a flag office for the last two years has stuff missing from three years ago. Not so much.

Guest NAVYGUY209
5 minutes ago, mikecLS1 said:

Thanks good luck

There is an LSC in here @CPO_Pride247 that has some really good info. I reached out to him prior to submitting my package

Guest Blankslate

Last year my spouse realized that there was an error on one of his official record items  (his last name was listed as both his first and last name on an extension letter from his last command) that he could not get fixed before the board saw it but he didn't include anything about it when he sent his Letter to the Board. (the command was on deployment and he had been told by his current admin that the admin from his last command would have to fix it). He didn't pick up last year. He got ahold of the admin for his old command after they got back but they were in the process of the command moving bases so he's spent a good portion of the lead up to packages being sent making sure this one item got corrected. 

EDIT: he just got home for lunch and I asked him if he ever got that letter corrected. He did not but he did include an explanation this year in his LTB

Guest NAVYGUY209

I know there is one AO from Lemoore are there anyone else and if so what command? Also anyone going has been on the Makin Island recently?

Guest OldSalt
25 minutes ago, Blankslate said:

I do every time. They take different rates that are similar and group them together under broader categories. The board members are divided up into their categories to look at the corresponding records. To throw even more of a twist into it, you can have different communities in that category. For example: The category I would have been in has three different rates in it. And, covers both surface and submarines. The Master Chiefs/ Senior Chiefs that were actual board members were mostly from two of the three covered rates. Only one was from the third rate. And, all but one were surface. I have absolutely no idea how they go about selecting who will be a Board member or recorder. Other than it starts with who volunteered to go. So to kind of put your mind at a little more at ease. There may have been only one Board member from your husband's rate looking at his record. But, someone very familiar with the rate would have looked at it regardless. They would not have; say, a Master Chief in an engineering rate from the submarine community reviewing and deciding on a record for someone in a CB rating. They would have someone from a CB rate looking at the record. Maybe not the same rate, but close enough to understand it without help. Does that make sense? Help?

Guest OS1/CCC

I think you are on the same ship as me. lol

10 minutes ago, bocktagon said:

I'm an AO with an HSC squadron from San Diego. We are currently out to sea for another 13 days or so.

Guest OrdieDevilDolphin
15 minutes ago, NAVYGUY209 said:

I know there is one AO from Lemoore are there anyone else and if so what command? Also anyone going has been on the Makin Island recently?

Im an AO in Whidbey got here in March from VMFAT-101 in Miramar.  I know a couple of AO's that were on the Makin Island.

Guest NAVYGUY209
2 minutes ago, Blankslate said:

@OneLastDance yeah that helps. I was just worried if they had one guy looking at almost 300 records how in the world they would be able to accurately rank everyone. 

We just got briefed by a CSCM that sat the board and he was on the supply panel. Basically for anyone out of his rate they get briefed on that rate and what certain things mean and he also get's that rates sea/shore ladder. The ladder basically just tells you or anyone where you should be and what you should be doing within certain years of your career.

Guest USNAO1AWSW
19 minutes ago, NAVYGUY209 said:

I'm an AO from an HSM squadron in North Island.

Guest bocktagon
5 minutes ago, OS1/CCC said:

I think you are on the same ship as me. lol

Hmmm my question for you then would be.... Why are you not doing GQ right now? HAHAHAHAHA

Guest OS1/CCC

I didn't submit anything to the board last year or this year. It was my understanding that if everything is in your record, no need to submit anything. Career is pretty balanced as far as sea and shore rotation. I am doing back-to-back sea duty, but the board wouldn't see that as I haven't got my hard copy orders yet for my next command. I wasn't able to finish my SEJPME before the board convened but was able to finish it June 24. Ya know, great out to sea internet and all. Think that would hurt me this year?