FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest OrdieDevilDolphin
21 minutes ago, Ordy said:

Ok, so I would like to share some gouge I got last year.  

Let me give you a brief background on me so that this makes sense.  Two commands ago I left as the #2 EP (periodic) in my command.  I had been an extremely successful LPO in three different positions during my time there.  My duty was shore based, but I was deployable.  I was very successful on my deployments and was a division chief at a MALS unit overseas in Japan.  I had been attending college for 5 years and at the time was 6 or so classes away from my bachelors.  Career counselor, lots of volunteerism, Joint service, 7 NAMs, well above CO's average with normal upward progression with sustained superior performance.  I then transferred to Recruiting Duty where I flew out the gate as the Rookie Recruiter of the year, then LPO of a recruiting station the following year.  I had all the blocks I had the opportunity to check filled with a few that I still had plans to pursue when offered the opportunity.  My evals were solid.  About 50 chiefs looked at my evals and had little to no critiques.  I got the "N" last year and about went through the roof.

I ended up contacting a Master Chief who had sat the board and sent in my package to him to review and tell me where I went wrong.  He said, number one, that he wished there were more quotas and that it was extremely difficult to rack and stack.  He said that having to move a person worthy of Chief to the no select pile was one of the hardest things he had ever had to do, but that it was a necessity.  He began to tear my package apart, which really pissed me off, by asking a thousand questions about it.  He asked... 

Why don't you have your MOVSM when you have all this volunteerism?  It was all documented, I didn't know I needed it if it was already there.

Why don't you have a degree with all of this college in your record?  I had to switch to a BS due to degree completion timeline requirements at my school.

Why didn't you write that in your LTB?

Why didn't you have this qual at this command?  I was deployable and my command wouldn't support it because I could leave at any time.

I didn't see PPME in your record.  Why?  I haven't got to that yet, it is on my list of things to do.

Why weren't you the division LPO?  Again, I was deployable, so I was unable to hold that position.

Why weren't you in QA?  Deployable.

These were just a few of the questions that were asked, but they went on and on...  This is what I lost...  I missed out on 10 or so points for a MOVSM that would have taken me a whole hour to write and route.  I missed out on 10 or so points for an associates degree by skipping it and going for my BS.  I missed out on points for quals I was ineligible to get.  I missed out on 10 or so points for PPME because PPME is worth the same as an Associates Degree!!!  

This is what I learned... If I had written in my LTB the reasons for all of this I would have received points and then some.  Let me splain...

If I would have explained the issue with the college, I may have received points and possibly more because I was so close to my BS.  I should have sent in my transcripts with an explanation.  If I would have explained the qual issue, I would have probably received more points for my other accomplishments that I did do because I was unable to do the things they were looking for.  Finally, it's all about the points.  

Sadly, they "grade" your package.  This means that they assign a point value for everything that they find and deduct points for negative things they find.  Unfortunately, they are bound by these rules.  Even though I was super successful leading, mentoring and guiding Sailors; I had an impact everywhere I went; I worked on personal and professional development, the points got me in the end.  So I saw people on the list that I knew, that did not work as hard for their Sailors and their Command as I did, get picked up for Chief.  Even though I slaved countless nights working on my degree, it was for not in the end.  

Let me be clear.  I am not crying.  I picked myself up, dusted off and began to address the issues he brought up.  I always told myself that I wouldn't be that guy who had 100 quals and did nothing with them, well I threw that theory out the window. I got my MOVSM, PPME, Addressed the issues in the LTB, accomplished other things and left my recruiting command as the #3.

I hope I make it this year, but if I do not, I know that it isn't because I am not deserving of Chief, it is because I didn't attain enough points to be competitive enough.  It's about points points points.  Get everything you can.  Explain things in your record.  Don't worry about sending in too many enclosures or that your LTB explains too much.  In a nutshell, anything you think would count as points, or if you want them to see it, or know why about something, include it in your LTB.  This may be redundant for most of you, but it was an eye opener for me.  I hope this helps someone...  

Extremely eye-opening ordie brother! Hope you get that "S" this year.  This is very helpful.

17 minutes ago, OrdieDevilDolphin said:

Extremely eye-opening ordie brother! Hope you get that "S" this year.  This is very helpful.

Me too!

Guest FCC_Thawk

@Ordy I feel your pain bro. I sent in 12 enclosures and wrote in my LTB about my Limdu periods. I figure that if they have to look at my OMPF fled codes 30-38, PSR, and LTB, the board will have to deny a whole lot of stuff. 

Guest USNAO1AWSW
31 minutes ago, OrdieDevilDolphin said:

Good luck bro, I read that from beginning to end. Lots of good info. Our quotas are not that great and the competition is tough. Hopefully this forum can produce some AOC's...IYAOYAS...

Guest OrdieDevilDolphin
Just now, USNAO1AWSW said:

Good luck bro, I read that from beginning to end. Lots of good info. Our quotas are not that great and the competition is tough. Hopefully this forum can produce some AOC's...IYAOYAS...

How many of us are on here?

Guest OrdieDevilDolphin
2 minutes ago, USNAO1AWSW said:

I've seen 4 or 5 active so far.

I hope we all get it, but given how good all our records look against each other I say minimum 2 out of 5 ordies on this forum make it.

Guest USNAO1AWSW
2 minutes ago, OrdieDevilDolphin said:

I hope we all get it, but given how good all our records look against each other I say minimum 2 out of 5 ordies on this forum make it.

I agree..we actually care a lot and from what I've seen so far posted in this forum, there is definitely potential for some AOC Selects in here. This forum has answered a lot of my questions and has helped me get to where I'm at now...

Guest navyordie123
8 minutes ago, USNAO1AWSW said:

I agree..we actually care a lot and from what I've seen so far posted in this forum, there is definitely potential for some AOC Selects in here. This forum has answered a lot of my questions and has helped me get to where I'm at now...

Good luck to al my Ordie Brothers and Sisters!!! IYAOYAS!!!

Guest OrdieDevilDolphin
54 minutes ago, Tony said:

Pretty nice sized group for this time at night. I guess everyone is catching up on their reading... ;)

Maybe one to many night caps haha and stress. For me atleast 

Guest OS1/CCC

I enjoy coming on here for the last hour and a half of my watch to catch up on reading. Looks like many of my FF are in the same boat I am as far as accomplishments and leading Sailors. My question now is, how do you sleep at night? I go all day without thinking about it, or when i do, i tell myself i didn't make it so i wont be disappointed to see that "N" (which isn't that bad since I am coming off deployment, and I will get to see my family a lot more) , but when I am trying to get those five hours of sleep at night, I constantly think about getting that "S", phase 2,  and being pinned on SEP 16th. I didn't have that issue last year.

Guest OS1/CCC
15 hours ago, Riverine Rat said:

safe bet nothing going to happen today

How long were you at RIVRON one? I was part of MOBEXSECGRU ONE back when it was NCWGRU One from 2003-2006 and they were standing up those RIVRON units.Even helped write the EXW pin.

8 hours ago, Ordy said:

Ok, so I would like to share some gouge I got last year.  

Let me give you a brief background on me so that this makes sense.  Two commands ago I left as the #2 EP (periodic) in my command.  I had been an extremely successful LPO in three different positions during my time there.  My duty was shore based, but I was deployable.  I was very successful on my deployments and was a division chief at a MALS unit overseas in Japan.  I had been attending college for 5 years and at the time was 6 or so classes away from my bachelors.  Career counselor, lots of volunteerism, Joint service, 7 NAMs, well above CO's average with normal upward progression with sustained superior performance.  I then transferred to Recruiting Duty where I flew out the gate as the Rookie Recruiter of the year, then LPO of a recruiting station the following year.  I had all the blocks I had the opportunity to check filled with a few that I still had plans to pursue when offered the opportunity.  My evals were solid.  About 50 chiefs looked at my evals and had little to no critiques.  I got the "N" last year and about went through the roof.

I ended up contacting a Master Chief who had sat the board and sent in my package to him to review and tell me where I went wrong.  He said, number one, that he wished there were more quotas and that it was extremely difficult to rack and stack.  He said that having to move a person worthy of Chief to the no select pile was one of the hardest things he had ever had to do, but that it was a necessity.  He began to tear my package apart, which really pissed me off, by asking a thousand questions about it.  He asked... 

Why don't you have your MOVSM when you have all this volunteerism?  It was all documented, I didn't know I needed it if it was already there.

Why don't you have a degree with all of this college in your record?  I had to switch to a BS due to degree completion timeline requirements at my school.

Why didn't you have this qual at this command?  I was deployable and my command wouldn't support it because I could leave at any time.

I didn't see PPME in your record.  Why?  I haven't got to that yet, it is on my list of things to do.

Why weren't you the division LPO?  Again, I was deployable, so I was unable to hold that position.

Why weren't you in QA?  Deployable.

These were just a few of the questions that were asked, but they went on and on...  This is what I lost...  I missed out on 10 or so points for a MOVSM that would have taken me a whole hour to write and route.  I missed out on 10 or so points for an associates degree by skipping it and going for my BS.  I missed out on points for quals I was ineligible to get.  I missed out on 10 or so points for PPME because PPME is worth the same as an Associates Degree!!!  

This is what I learned... If I had written in my LTB the reasons for all of this I would have received points and then some.  Let me splain...

If I would have explained the issue with the college, I may have received points and possibly more because I was so close to my BS.  I should have sent in my transcripts with an explanation.  If I would have explained the qual issue, I would have probably received more points for my other accomplishments that I did do because I was unable to do the things they were looking for.  Finally, it's all about the points.  

Sadly, they "grade" your package.  This means that they assign a point value for everything that they find and deduct points for negative things they find.  Unfortunately, they are bound by these rules.  Even though I was super successful leading, mentoring and guiding Sailors; I had an impact everywhere I went; I worked on personal and professional development, the points got me in the end.  So I saw people on the list that I knew, that did not work as hard for their Sailors and their Command as I did, get picked up for Chief.  Even though I slaved countless nights working on my degree, it was for not in the end.  

Let me be clear.  I am not crying.  I picked myself up, dusted off and began to address the issues he brought up.  I always told myself that I wouldn't be that guy who had 100 quals and did nothing with them, well I threw that theory out the window. I got my MOVSM, PPME, Addressed the issues in the LTB, accomplished other things and left my recruiting command as the #3 (periodic).

I hope I make it this year, but if I do not, I know that it isn't because I am not deserving of Chief, it is because I didn't attain enough points to be competitive enough.  It's about points points points.  Get everything you can.  Explain things in your record.  Don't worry about sending in too many enclosures or that your LTB explains too much.  In a nutshell, anything you think would count as points, or if you want them to see it, or know why about something, include it in your LTB.  This may be redundant for most of you, but it was an eye opener for me.  I hope this helps someone...  

I appreciate you sharing this @Ordy, it is not redundant at all and I'm sure someone will benefit. 

Also, you don't seem as angry as last year. I really hope you get this one. I didn't know you did so much stuff career-wise! :)

Guest Squidly
10 hours ago, fryeguy67 said:

For SBEs, how many enclosures did you send with your LTB and what do you think was the most significant enclosure to push you over the top?

V/R,

AT1(AW/SW)

One enclosure. It was a memo from my detailer saying they broke my rotation for the needs of the Navy.

Sometimes the chips don't fall in your favor and you have a new qual or something just before the board convenes - otherwise you're just wasting paper pointing out the fact that your record is not up to date. LTBs are not a bad thing, they exist because we don't operate in a utopian organization. BUT, if it's a missing xyz from two years ago - you probably should have done your personal diligence and fixed it then. Just my $0.02.

Guest sk32004toLSC
9 hours ago, Tony said:

It's the combination of a slow network like nmci and this boated software which was buggy upon release version 4. It will be awhile before I switch software and even longer before nmci is improved. 

:5295:

NMCI = Navy Making Communications Impossible

Guest sk32004toLSC
9 hours ago, AWFChief said:

Out of curiosity, how many SBE here submitted a Career Summary Letter?

or maybe this would be an idea for a poll to use for statistics once results come out @Tony

Personally, I sent one in every year except the year I was selected

I sent one in this year

Guest OldSalt

I did not send in a Career Summary. I was told repeatedly that if it is not mentioned in the official instructions don't do it. It goes in line with the whole following procedures thing. However, I will say that there are probably good reasons to do it. It may depend more on the SBE situation more than anything else. So, overall I am neither for or against them. Just for me it did not feel like the thing to do.

For enclosures I sent in only a couple. But, I guess I did it a little different than most. For example: My Training and Qualification record was not up to date. There were a few schools I had been to that I wanted the board to see. However, they were not listed anywhere in my OMPF. They were schools for me to support outside of my rate. Instead of sending in the complete record, 90% of which was stuff everybody has type things, I sent in only the pages that had the necessary information. In my cover letter I addressed why I was sending in a partial record, and what I wanted them to see on what I did send in. It is a roll of the dice to see how that played out.

Guest Riverine Rat
3 hours ago, OS1/CCC said:

How long were you at RIVRON one? I was part of MOBEXSECGRU ONE back when it was NCWGRU One from 2003-2006 and they were standing up those RIVRON units.Even helped write the EXW pin.

I was at RIVRONTWO from 2011 to 2013. Decomed them and was forced to pick orders because the merger with MSRON. There where 5 AO's there and we all had to leave early because of it. Big navy said the didn't want aviation rates in small boat units. But I'm hearing now that AO's are getting orders to the CORIVRON units.

Guest FCC_Thawk
11 hours ago, NavyChic2003 said:

I also submitted a career summary, but I got very mixed reviews on whether or not to do it.

My CMC just came back from the Senior Chief board and he was adamant about including it. His view was that it helps with grading the records. 

Guest Blankslate

To those who worry about how negative information might impact your advancement. Go Google Chad Rickenberg. 2 news articles from 1998 will be the first 2 results. Chad Rickenberg wound up being one of my husband's Chiefs on his first Shore Duty. He wasn't a chief yet when the articles were written but it might give some here a bit of perspective as to what they can come back from. 

2 minutes ago, Blankslate said:

To those who worry about how negative information might impact your advancement. Go Google Chad Rickenberg. 2 news articles from 1998 will be the first 2 results. Chad Rickenberg wound up being one of my husband's Chiefs on his first Shore Duty. He wasn't a chief yet when the articles were written but it might give some here a bit of perspective as to what they can come back from. 

Most people's Google results will return different matches. I even did an advanced search and could not find one for 1998. Unless it's from a link not allowed, or a scrupulous site, can you provide the link? (scrupulous sites I will get a 4 alarm fire warning... :))

Guest HawkISback

My Chief is a broncos fan, I am going to get some my little pony memorabilia and decorate his office for that fake intel yesterday.  

Guest navyordie123

I hope that everyone has a great day. Stay safe wherever you maybe and just remember that the wait is almost over. A lot of good information and a lot of good fun has been had on this forum. jusy remember it's coming up on the possible last weekend before some of us will have our lives changed forever. A lot of great Chiefs on here giving great advice and a lot of great FCPOs on here sharing what they have learned over the years. Good luck to everyone this up coming week. Remember to spend a little extra time with the family and relax this weekend.