FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest AWFChief
4 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

I like it, and I plan to use it. Great way to allow someone to show leadership and management skills at the same time.

I haven't heard of this either.  Typically this is just written into the persons eval, but I like it.

Guest HMSFIDC

Haven't posted in a while. 3rd time up, but not sure how optimistic to be since I have a NJP within the last 5 years. Good luck to all the SBEs!!

4 minutes ago, HMSFIDC said:

Haven't posted in a while. 3rd time up, but not sure how optimistic to be since I have a NJP within the last 5 years. Good luck to all the SBEs!!

Anything is possible.  I think the important part is how your eval reflects you bounced back from your NJP.  I know it's not the same, but in the past I've seen a guy busted down to 3rd for a DUI and get capped back to 2nd a year later.

I don't know if it's this laptop, or the lovely nmci network but when I post from work it appears to double post just about every time.  So I'm gonna use this double post to say I think we will break 110 pages by the time the results come out.  We are at 93 right now so I have faith we can make it.

Guest HMSFIDC

3 minutes ago, AME1 said:

Anything is possible.  I think the important part is how your eval reflects you bounced back from your NJP.  I know it's not the same, but in the past I've seen a guy busted down to 3rd for a DUI and get capped back to 2nd a year later.

Very true. I have done very well since and did so prior as well. so hopefully that helps out weigh the negatives. It was 4 years ago so maybe this will be the year.

5 minutes ago, AME1 said:

I don't know if it's this laptop, or the lovely nmci network but when I post from work it appears to double post just about every time.  So I'm gonna use this double post to say I think we will break 110 pages by the time the results come out.  We are at 93 right now so I have faith we can make it.

It's the combination of a slow network like nmci and this boated software which was buggy upon release version 4. It will be awhile before I switch software and even longer before nmci is improved. 

:5295:

Guest HMSFIDC
5 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

My sponsor when I went thru made it his 3rd time up with a DUI NJP. He's now a Senior Chief. Adverse information can hurt, but at the end of the day it comes down to how you have counteracted it.

I have hope!! Lol I've ranked out twice (2/82 and 2/88) at my last shore and current sea command. Have won 3 SSOQs over that time, done all the PMEs possible and have ensured my guys have all advanced, been rewarded, qualed and deployed. Couldn't have done any of it though without the awesome leadership I have had that didn't cast me aside but gave me a real chance to bounce back and succeed. 

Guest AWFChief
50 minutes ago, FC1THawk said:

I submitted 12. Career summary,

Out of curiosity, how many SBE here submitted a Career Summary Letter?

or maybe this would be an idea for a poll to use for statistics once results come out @Tony

Personally, I sent one in every year except the year I was selected

Guest FCC_Thawk
Just now, AWFChief said:

or maybe this would be an idea for a poll to use for statistics once results come out @Tony

This is the first time I've sent it, maybe I'll be fortunate enough to be selected lol

2 minutes ago, AWFChief said:

We can do a poll but it will show in the Chief's category not this thread. Just like the Nov 2016 Prez election one.

You can do the poll if you want,

or 

I'll be happy to do it. You can give me:

The post title:

The post blurb: (usually expands on the poll or whatnot)

The poll question:

Then we add the answer selections or yes or no or whatever.

And I'll do it. Take a peek at the Prez poll to get a feel.

I've seen both the arguments for and against the career summary letter on here.  I know people who swear by them, and believe that's part of the reason they get selected.  I've also heard that the board can see where you've been and it's a waste of time.  I personally haven't sent one in for this, or any of my 5 previous trips to the board.  I think it just comes down to personal preference as no one except those on the board know what puts someone over the top to get the S.

Guest FCC_Thawk
Just now, AWFChief said:

This is the first time I've sent it, maybe I'll be fortunate enough to be selected lol

Guest fryeguy67

Here's what I submitted for Career Summary. I omitted my personal info. Did you guys do something in the similar format?

From talking to multiple sources, the common denominator was "It's your package, if you think you'll lose sleep over it, send it. Ultimately, it's your decision.

NAVAL CAREER SUMMARY SAMPLE.docx

Guest HM_(FMF/SW/PJ)

On career summaries I've heard valid points on both sides:

1) Master Chiefs know how to read evals.

2) On those late days during the board a career summary makes it easier for a Master Chief to look at your career summary, then find those things in your evals.

Personally, I don't think a career summary hurts a candidate's chances.

Guest FCC_Thawk
2 minutes ago, fryeguy67 said:

Here's what I submitted for Career Summary. I omitted my personal info. Did you guys do something in the similar format?

From talking to multiple sources, the common denominator was "It's your package, if you think you'll lose sleep over it, send it. Ultimately, it's your decision.

I like it. I'll post mine tomorrow when I get to work. 

Guest HM_(FMF/SW/PJ)

2) On those late days during the board a career summary makes it easier for a Master Chief to look at your career summary, then find those things in your evals.

3 minutes ago, fryeguy67 said:

I think a pdf of your actual summary (minus your personal info) would be easier to read.  A list of your college classes should be on your 881. That should have been an enclosure or an OMPF document.  If you put something on your career summary without proof to back it up you won't get points for it.

Guest NavyChic2003
9 minutes ago, fryeguy67 said:

Mine was pretty similar, but dates were listed on right side.  I  broke it into categories and then chronological order.

Guest fryeguy67
3 minutes ago, HM_(FMF/SW/PJ) said:

I think a pdf of your actual summary (minus your personal info) would be easier to read.  A list of your college classes should be on your 881. That should have been an enclosure or an OMPF document.  If you put something on your career summary without proof to back it up you won't get points for it.

Totally agree. But that's how I ended up with a lot of enclosures...

LTB Sample.pdf

Guest Admin_warrior
1 hour ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

I like it, and I plan to use it. Great way to allow someone to show leadership and management skills at the same time.

At my command they used CPO 365 just like the FCPOA postions. You had president, vice president, secretary, master at arms and PAO. They cycled it out every 4 months so it allowed for leadership opportunities in 365. Even if you didn't have a postion, you could participate and volunteer to lead PT, provide training, etc.

Guest fryeguy67
3 minutes ago, HM_(FMF/SW/PJ) said:

Totally agree. But that's how I ended up with a lot of enclosures...

Ok, so I would like to share some gouge I got last year.  

Let me give you a brief background on me so that this makes sense.  Two commands ago I left as the #2 EP (periodic) in my command.  I had been an extremely successful LPO in three different positions during my time there.  My duty was shore based, but I was deployable.  I was very successful on my deployments and was a division chief at a MALS unit overseas in Japan.  I had been attending college for 5 years and at the time was 6 or so classes away from my bachelors.  Career counselor, lots of volunteerism, Joint service, 7 NAMs, well above CO's average with normal upward progression with sustained superior performance.  I then transferred to Recruiting Duty where I flew out the gate as the Rookie Recruiter of the year, then LPO of a recruiting station the following year.  I had all the blocks I had the opportunity to check filled with a few that I still had plans to pursue when offered the opportunity.  My evals were solid.  About 50 chiefs looked at my evals and had little to no critiques.  I got the "N" last year and about went through the roof.

I ended up contacting a Master Chief who had sat the board and sent in my package to him to review and tell me where I went wrong.  He said, number one, that he wished there were more quotas and that it was extremely difficult to rack and stack.  He said that having to move a person worthy of Chief to the no select pile was one of the hardest things he had ever had to do, but that it was a necessity.  He began to tear my package apart, which really pissed me off, by asking a thousand questions about it.  He asked... 

Why don't you have your MOVSM when you have all this volunteerism?  It was all documented, I didn't know I needed it if it was already there.

Why don't you have a degree with all of this college in your record?  I had to switch to a BS due to degree completion timeline requirements at my school.

Why didn't you write that in your LTB?

Why didn't you have this qual at this command?  I was deployable and my command wouldn't support it because I could leave at any time.

I didn't see PPME in your record.  Why?  I haven't got to that yet, it is on my list of things to do.

Why weren't you the division LPO?  Again, I was deployable, so I was unable to hold that position.

Why weren't you in QA?  Deployable.

These were just a few of the questions that were asked, but they went on and on...  This is what I lost...  I missed out on 10 or so points for a MOVSM that would have taken me a whole hour to write and route.  I missed out on 10 or so points for an associates degree by skipping it and going for my BS.  I missed out on points for quals I was ineligible to get.  I missed out on 10 or so points for PPME because PPME is worth the same as an Associates Degree!!!  

This is what I learned... If I had written in my LTB the reasons for all of this I would have received points and then some.  Let me splain...

If I would have explained the issue with the college, I may have received points and possibly more because I was so close to my BS.  I should have sent in my transcripts with an explanation.  If I would have explained the qual issue, I would have probably received more points for my other accomplishments that I did do because I was unable to do the things they were looking for.  Finally, it's all about the points.  

Sadly, they "grade" your package.  This means that they assign a point value for everything that they find and deduct points for negative things they find.  Unfortunately, they are bound by these rules.  Even though I was super successful leading, mentoring and guiding Sailors; I had an impact everywhere I went; I worked on personal and professional development, the points got me in the end.  So I saw people on the list that I knew, that did not work as hard for their Sailors and their Command as I did, get picked up for Chief.  Even though I slaved countless nights working on my degree, it was for not in the end.  

Let me be clear.  I am not crying.  I picked myself up, dusted off and began to address the issues he brought up.  I always told myself that I wouldn't be that guy who had 100 quals and did nothing with them, well I threw that theory out the window. I got my MOVSM, PPME, Addressed the issues in the LTB, accomplished other things and left my recruiting command as the #3 (periodic).

I hope I make it this year, but if I do not, I know that it isn't because I am not deserving of Chief, it is because I didn't attain enough points to be competitive enough.  It's about points points points.  Get everything you can.  Explain things in your record.  Don't worry about sending in too many enclosures or that your LTB explains too much.  In a nutshell, anything you think would count as points, or if you want them to see it, or know why about something, include it in your LTB.  This may be redundant for most of you, but it was an eye opener for me.  I hope this helps someone...  

Guest HMSFIDC
22 minutes ago, fryeguy67 said:

Here's is what I submitted. I think overall very similar in content just different formatting. 

image.jpeg

Guest fryeguy67

It's good to see a little change up with the topic. This weekend will be the calm before the storm. Monday I'm the UI for CDO for the base, so maybe I can pick up some intel if we don't hear anything over the weekend. :D