FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest SeaBeeDoc

I have a question concerning my Enlisted Selection Board number, it says it is #336 .  This happens to be the same as it was for last years board. My question is this normal for it to be same each I thought it change every year. I know I am in the FTS community but I thought it was the same across the board.

Do you think it could be an error? If so how can I find out for sure?  

r/ SeaBeeDoc

Guest Riverine Rat

I have a question I'm looking for honest opinions for. I recently converted to a new rate but my last chain of command was not to happy about my decision to convert and my evals suffered for it. I went from ranked #7 of 28 as the #2 MP with a SQA OF 4.49 my first real eval at the command when I put in my package to convert the next eval as a 4.29 MP not ranked my next eval and transfers 3 months later with a 4.0 EP. Without going into a long story I got fully qualified to a CPO level before I transferred and received my ESWS and EIDW pins giving me 4 warfare pins total. Don't know how much they help. But during this time of converting my chain of command made it known that they viewed me as a traitor to the rate and would not put me in competition with my fellow PO1's since I was leaving. How much of an impact will this have on my chances and will the board members consider this as a reason why my SQA dropped even though my write ups state clearly how I was involved in the command and lead sailors? I converted to NC CRF from the fleet, should have converted once I got to recruiting duty I guess. Once again just looking for opinions seeing how I can not change what has already happened.

13 hours ago, SeeBeeDoc said:

I have a question concerning my Enlisted Selection Board number, it says it is #336 .  This happens to be the same as it was for last years board. My question is this normal for it to be same each I thought it change every year. I know I am in the FTS community but I thought it was the same across the board.

Do you think it could be an error? If so how can I find out for sure?  

r/ SeaBeeDoc

Are you talking about cycle #?  When looking up my profile sheets I have different cycle numbers each year.  Last year was cycle 226 and this year is cycle 230.  Unless I'm brain farting on this one, but I don't see anything that says board #.

Guest SeaBeeDoc
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 8:35 AM, CPO_Pride247 said:

The board number is in the NAVADMIN that comes out each year for the selection boards. For example:

E8/9 Reserve: 205          E7 Reserve: 335          Senior Enlisted Continuation: 478
E8/9 FTS: 206                 E7 FTS: 336         
E9 Active: 210                 E7 Active: 360
E8 Active: 235 

Do not confuse the exam cycle with the board number. Remember, that there are lots of different boards that convene every year. Below is just a snapshot of the different boards and dates:

336 FTS  E-7 PERS 8 16-May-16
275 Active O-4 Line PERS 8 16-May-16
276 Active O-3 Line Continuation PERS 8 16-May-16
277 Active Junior Service College PERS 8 16-May-16
320 NJROTC Officer NSTC 16-May-16
321 NJROTC Enlisted NSTC 16-May-16
240 Transfer/Redesignation #2 PERS 8 31-May-16
340 Reserve O-4 Staff PERS 8 6-Jun-16

Thanks for clearing that up Chief!

Guest Blondie
On 3/24/2016 at 4:28 PM, Ssmonte06 said:

Small question does the board look at test scores? I didn't think they did but according to a recent article they do look at them.

The board can only see three things:  your OMPF, your PSR, and whatever you send them.  The only way that the board would see your exam profile sheet is if you sent it in as part of your LTB.  Which... I would not personally advise.

Guest navyordie123

I was told by someone who wants to review my record  to print off my stuff that hasn't been verified in nsips. Is there a reason for that? 

Guest CursedSwabbie
18 hours ago, navyordie123 said:

I was told by someone who wants to review my record  to print off my stuff that hasn't been verified in nsips. Is there a reason for that? 

Well it may not have been verified my NSIPS but it could still be a good thing for the board to see! Also, remember the board does not look at NSIPS! PSR, OMPF (can't remember which blocks) and your LTB! I am willing to believ that they are doing what they can to see where you stand and if there is something glaring that needs to be addressed. In my case, my LCPO had seen that I had volunteer hours on my evals and I had not submitted for a MOVSM! I told him that I did not do it for that, but he wrote me one and got it approved for the board! 

Guest Art Vandelay

For those of you have written letters to the board, and were picked up, what font and size did you use, I don't want to leave anything to chance, I saw the example from NPC, but I wanted to know if you all used that same example, font and size.

Guest CursedSwabbie
39 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

For those of you have written letters to the board, and were picked up, what font and size did you use, I don't want to leave anything to chance, I saw the example from NPC, but I wanted to know if you all used that same example, font and size.

A Sample letter is listed on the NPC website *link below*

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/activedutyenlisted/Pages/GeneralInformation.aspx

Guest Art Vandelay
18 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

Always have someone look at your letter after you write it. The Navy just changed the font type and size for correspondence to Times New Roman. Take the time and have someone with admin skills to look at it. Have a few people look at it before even sending it. I have always copied and pasted the sample letter that @CursedSwabbie as provided and never had an issue. The important thing is insuring that all of your enclosures are properly labeled and numbered sequentially. I can't stress enough to have people look it over before sending.

Thank you soooo very much. I was just reading the correspondence manual and I literally just read that they went to Times New Roman. Like I just read that, the example I don't believe is in that format and that's why I asked because I was just going to use the example format provided by NPC and run with it, but now that I have written guidance, and experienced guidance I feel all the more better now about the product that I anticipate submitting. Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. And I will have my letter go to as many experienced people that I can get to look at it.

Guest CursedSwabbie
11 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Thank you soooo very much. I was just reading the correspondence manual and I literally just read that they went to Times New Roman. Like I just read that, the example I don't believe is in that format and that's why I asked because I was just going to use the example format provided by NPC and run with it, but now that I have written guidance, and experienced guidance I feel all the more better now about the product that I anticipate submitting. Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. And I will have my letter go to as many experienced people that I can get to look at it.

I am glad you got the help you needed!

Guest navyordie123

Good Luck to everyone that is SBE. I know that as the time gets closer to submitting our LTBs and to the board convening that nerves can get shot cause it is a stressful time but always remember that we have out junior sailors to look out for and to prep them for becoming FCPOs. I hope to see a bunch of I MADE IT posts on here after the results are out but if not then I know that we can help each other out by getting ready for the next year. GOOD LUCK TO ALL MY FCPO BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!

Guest CWO2 RRP 782X

Hello All!

After a long hiatus I have returned to the forum where I spent many hours July into early August. I am happy to say my efforts at my previous command (Squadron) were not in vain and was able to get not only an EP, but an outstanding block 43 writeup with an ITA WELL above the CO's average. Currently working on the SJPME on JKO (already completed old JPME from NKO, PPME last year) to submit with my package. While I took not getting selected hard last year, I realized also it was only my first time up and I still had some learning to do. I left my command with my head held high because I felt that my Sailors had the tools they needed for success and good guidance. I also had many great mentors who weren't afraid of being up front and honest in helping me better myself as a leader.  

As far as the board, I dont count on submitting nearly as many items this year as I did previously. Anyways, Good luck to all of you!!

On Friday, April 01, 2016 at 10:53 PM, USAF2USN said:

The worst thing you can do is to lose the fight and hunger each and every one of you will have in the months leading up to the board. Time to recharge your esprit de corps...

What's so special about this ship?

20111009033245.jpg

That was my old boat

Guest SandcrabCTT

I got a ticket to the dance!  Got the SBE, now let's see how the quotas are this cycle.  Good luck to all the SBE's that made it and for those that didn't don't be discouraged, just keep plugging away shipmates!

Guest CursedSwabbie

I have been sending out my LTB to Chiefs all over the place to the point that I feel like a writer pandering his scripts to everyone for a shot at Hollywood fame.:lol:

Guest CPO2LDO
On 4/9/2016 at 7:33 AM, CPO_Pride247 said:

Is there a particular reason that you have no faith in your chances to promote? I am not asking you to post anything personal on here. I don't like to see anyone feel they don't have a chance before the board has even convened. If it is an EVAL issue, what is happening at midterm time? Are you getting an honest assessment from your rater to determine what you need to do in order to be successful? Is it a PRIMS issue? If so, how have you used your setback to help others? I just spoke to a Master Chief who sat the board last year and one of her biggest points she wanted to make was that everyone can recover! She was very passionate that people who have faltered have the ability to become great leaders and help others. Have you taken the time to reach out to someone to review your record and give you an honest assessment of where you currently are in your path to selection? I hope that if you truly feel that there is no hope, you will find a way to use that as motivation to create your own hope and determine your own success. If you need help with anything , do not hesitate to reach out to myself or any other CPO. Stay focused.

Agree 100%. New here (officially) but was searching when I was waiting for the CPO results to come out years ago. Please feel free to contact me as well.

Guest CursedSwabbie
On 4/8/2016 at 8:00 PM, Sourdough said:

No hopes on my side but wishing everyone the best!

I may not know your situation but if there is something that I can do to help you let me know. I may not be a Chief, but if you are not getting help at your command or just need someone to point you in the right direction or recommend a chief to talk to let me know!

Guest navyordie123

So much good information has been past over this forum since I have joined it last year and it is amazing how much people that don't even know each other have reached out just to help one other. Now, this is how we as leaders need to instill this in our junior personnel.  the PERFECT example of the brother and sisterhood that the Navy has for each other.

Guest CryptoSquid
On 3/29/2016 at 9:30 AM, CPO_Pride247 said:

Always have someone look at your letter after you write it. The Navy just changed the font type and size for correspondence to Times New Roman. Take the time and have someone with admin skills to look at it. Have a few people look at it before even sending it. I have always copied and pasted the sample letter that @CursedSwabbie as provided and never had an issue. The important thing is insuring that all of your enclosures are properly labeled and numbered sequentially. I can't stress enough to have people look it over before sending.

along with the change to times new roman, dont forget the standard font size is now 11pt as well.

Guest CryptoSquid

Ive been quiet on here for the last couple years, but good luck to everyone that is SBE, i hope to see many names on that that, and hopefully 6th time will be a charm for myself!

Guest CryptoSquid

Question out there for anyone thats sat a board. I have the NEC 9502 (formerly known as Journeyman Instructor Training) I went to this school in 2007 as a way to help me with public speaking. At the time I was a Second Class Petty Officer and had to at times, talk to LCDRs, and Senior Chief's and basically tell them this is whats jacked up about these processes and here is how were going to fix them...

There was no MTS program at the command, but it seems a lot of people associate the two together. will this have a negative look on the board to have the NEC and not the MTS? they can see the command i was at, but of course wont be able to tell if there was an MTS program. 

If it will be looked at as a negative, should I write in my letter to the board explaining the situation and reasoning for the NEC and not the qual? 

Thanks and V/R

CTR1(IDW/SW/AW)

Guest SeaBeeDoc

Just had my package reviewed by several Master Chiefs  and received some positive feedback just waiting for my MTS & MVOSM certs to come back from the COC and I will be sending my package for review.  Here is wishing everyone the best of luck and I hope we are all ask to dance now that we have been given the ticket.