FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest CWO2 RRP 782X
On 8/2/2016 at 1:22 PM, IT_wun(IW/SCW/SW/AW) said:

God is good... I finally joined this about a week ago after lurking around for about the last 2 cycles.

I got the coveted "S" today.  I'm so grateful as this was my second time up.

First let me start by saying this....for those that weren't selected this is NOT the time to give up or throw in the towel. I've been there and I know how it feels... Not too good...but you can either let life happen to you....or you can get up and make life happen for you!!  This is the time to GRIND!! Starting with preparation for the exam in January. Don't let your Sailors see you down. They feed off your energy and if they see you get back up after you fall, chances are they will do the same. Utilize the resources available. Big navy makes this easy, you have free access to all members who sat your rating panel. CONTACT them! No they can't tell you why you weren't selected but you can certainly ask for guidance and advice to help you remain competitive in your perspective rating. They truly want to help and are standing by to assist.  I did it and trust me it works.  They are just as eager to see you succeed as much as you want to succeed for yourself!

Congrats to all those who were selected!!! God bless and let's push through the next SIX weeks

Congratulations on your Selection!

I am happy to report I got the "S" as well... 

As stated above, right now is the time to focus on the January exam. Without making the cut there, you wont have the opportunity to be seen by the board. I also was not selected last year, so I do know the feeling of disappointment and let down. This forum as I have stated before is an EXCELLENT group to reach out to people who genuinely want to help others succeed. I feel a good part of the reason I made it this time around was because of the conversations I had with some of the Chiefs that are members here. Reach out to them! They will help you!

I came from 2.5 years in Aviation as an IT. It is NOT EASY to break out when you are competing against Sailors who are running workcenters, CDI/CDQAR qualified and especially at the PO1 level, Safe for Flight qualified and running Maintenance Control. In that scenario, you have to think outside the box. Collateral Duties at the Command and Department Level, Continuing Education, whether it is college, CLEP, USMAP, etc. Also, CPO 365 is VERY HIGHLY looked upon. Be a facilitator and actively participate in events when you can. Trust me, it will help! What I wanted to show was that NO MATTER where you are stationed, whether you are in the majority or the minority, with hard word and dedication, YOU CAN SUCCEED!!! 

Also, take the time NOW to really scrub your records and ensure you have everything in order. Of course, the board cannot tell you why you did not get selected, but if your record is missing items such as evals, awards, etc., that could have been the difference.

Please feel free to reach out if you need someone to vent to, ask for board preparation advice...anything!

4 hours ago, iamevilradio said:

Thanks. Should have my package sent to NPC tomorrow. The struggle has been tracking down people from my last command to write letters of recommendation on my behalf since I have only been at my command for about a month. I'm pretty sure I've got it all together and I think it'll work out for me. I'm not going to lie though, I was prepared to get a N this year but I was not at all prepared to get thrown into more "did I make it?" limbo. I think my reaction to this is only going to get worse as I see the Chief Selects move past me while I'm waiting again. I've got faith though. I'll get this. 

Keep us updated. I really hope you get this settled soon and join them fast... BBb)

Guest PS1_Flo
13 hours ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

I agree that hearing you got time is something that is not consoling or needed. Hard charging leaders do not need time or want to wait to have the opportunity to put on anchors and lead at a whole new level. It is a gut punch to not get selected and I can say that I hope it is something you can bounce back from quickly. Stay focused and continue to do great things. If you need anything, don't hesitate to reach out to any Chief. Do a really good record review and have someone outside your rate an someone within your rate review your record with you. Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you so much, CPO_Pride247. That is exactly what I feel like. I am doing better today, but I am still a little bummed out. I wanted to ask you a question and see what your thoughts are on this. So, I am a PS, and I have never been ships company. I have, however, been stationed with a squadron and I deployed with that command. Even though I have never been ships company, I have never been lazy at any of my commands. I have leadership and mentorship and I have held the LPO position. I have heard mixed reviews from all of the Master Chief's I have had look at my record. Some say I will never make Chief because I have never been stationed on a ship; others say that's not the case because PS is not really a ship going rate any more. I wanted to ask you honest opinion on this. I am also limited on command choice because of spouse co-lo. I am currently on Staff Duty and the leadership opportunities are limited due to the fact there are no junior Sailors; granted I know there are opportunities for leadership, especially of my peers, it's just not a typical command with a lot of junior Sailors. I have thought about terminating my shore duty early but if I do that, my spouse co-lo goes out the window and I am not willing to do that. I guess I am just trying to get feedback, and to see if I really don't even have a shot at making Chief because of the ship thing.

Guest Blankslate

Can anyone explain to me how the order of advancement works (I.E. how they get that number next to their name?) I have heard everything from it's based off the # of points they were awarded by the board to it's based on their time in rate. Navadmin didn't help and I am just trying to figure out what it means and how it plays in the grand scheme of things. 

Guest Admin_warrior
1 hour ago, PS1_Flo said:

Thank you so much, CPO_Pride247. That is exactly what I feel like. I am doing better today, but I am still a little bummed out. I wanted to ask you a question and see what your thoughts are on this. So, I am a PS, and I have never been ships company. I have, however, been stationed with a squadron and I deployed with that command. Even though I have never been ships company, I have never been lazy at any of my commands. I have leadership and mentorship and I have held the LPO position. I have heard mixed reviews from all of the Master Chief's I have had look at my record. Some say I will never make Chief because I have never been stationed on a ship; others say that's not the case because PS is not really a ship going rate any more. I wanted to ask you honest opinion on this. I am also limited on command choice because of spouse co-lo. I am currently on Staff Duty and the leadership opportunities are limited due to the fact there are no junior Sailors; granted I know there are opportunities for leadership, especially of my peers, it's just not a typical command with a lot of junior Sailors. I have thought about terminating my shore duty early but if I do that, my spouse co-lo goes out the window and I am not willing to do that. I guess I am just trying to get feedback, and to see if I really don't even have a shot at making Chief because of the ship thing.

PS1 I have a friend that had a master chief sit the board, and he said non ship sea duty was looked negatively upon a PS record. But that is one person, I think you can succeed anywhere. My new CO sat the board for PS/YN, I will definitely share what he thinks PS should have/been stsioned. My situation is complicated. I cross rated from OS to PS but I have done well as PS. I have only been a PS for 4 years (been in 13) I don't know if this hurts me or not when comparing to PS that have been the rate their whole career.

The FY17 thread has been closed. Please continue in the new FY18 CPO thread. 

• If you posted a request for help in this thread, feel free to repost in the FY18 forum.
  • You are also more than welcome to vent in the FY18 thread too. (that is one of the reasons for this forum).

I want to thank everyone for the great entertainment and putting up with the guidelines BBb)