FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest HawkISback
2 hours ago, Ordy said:

Well.  I got the "N" again this year.  6 times for me.  It does suck, but there is a new plan in my future that doesn't involve anchors.  I am glad to hear so many of you were selected.  Time to finish my degree, get my resume together and start planning for a future in the civilian sector.  God bless all of you!

Sorry to hear ordy, I was hoping this was the year for you.  

Guest 343SBE
8 hours ago, NAVYGUY209 said:

Did anyone in here pick up 1st time up? for those that got the S how many of you have a degree or MOVSM?

Degree no MOVSM

Guest Rolling DV8
4 hours ago, NavySAR said:

Got the N today. Sad, not really sure what I was missing, it was my third time up. I've got lots of time but in my rate makes my Chief is hard. My goal is Stars above anchors and pushing my entire community forward...I hit 10 years this month and I know it sounds silly, but I feel like I'm running out of time to make Master Chief :(

FLTCM Giordano made FCPO at his 11 year mark and he is now selected to be the 14th MCPON.  It looks like you are outpacing the next MCPON.  Work hard, get quals, lead Sailors, mentor Sailors, and stay hungry.  

Guest CryptoSquid

Well, 6 times up 6 time the N. Honestly really frustrated with this one. 

Again in congrats to all this what got the S. Learn all you can from this transition, but don't lose yourself and continue to take care of the Sailors that put you in yur position.

Guest SirLuciousLeftFoot

I still don't know my fate? Still on my 30 days leave (checking in on Monday) Prior command does not have my info nor does my gaining command. My heart pounds extra hard as I await for the navadmin.

Guest Blankslate

Thank you @CPO_Pride247 for having posted the Spouse Handbook. Any spouses on here I highly recommend you locate it (maybe @Tony has it linked somewhere? I know it was posted in this thread). I read it before the results came out (and had read it 2 years ago as well) so yesterday when my shiny new Chief Select finally found his way home and started spouting things off, I not only knew what he was talking about (mostly the Khaki Ball) I could answer questions about it because of that Handbook (I think he just wanted to quiz me cause I told him I already knew about the Khaki Ball and about Dining In/Out events).

We found out that out of his particular area of NATTC (Avionics) that 6 got the S and that he was the most senior First so this is going to be an interesting ride. I am already working with him to make sure that a spouse info session and meet and greet get scheduled by the end of this week as well as making sure that myself and the other 4 spouses (one guy is single) get a spouse sponsor in case we have questions they can't answer. 

Spouses I encourage you to get as involved as your spouse and their command will allow you to be. Right now I am mostly on the back end trying to make sure that the spouses get the information they need when they need it (I've even offered to go get that handbook printed if the command can't get any) and am going to be assisting with Fundraising as much as the command will allow me and the kids to help (at least the older 2, although I could probably stick my toddler out in front of the Nex in her Navy cheerleader costume with a bucket and a sign asking for CPO Donations and make a decent amount). You have probably realized by now your CPO select is going to get a lot thrown at them over the next few weeks. Try to make it as easy as possible. Like mine has to learn certain Navy songs (all the verses) so as he's been remembering the names of the songs he needs to learn I've been finding the lyrics and printing them for him. Today I made sure he had his notebook, his Limdu chit, his excel spreadsheet he made last night and a Java Monster so he'd at least be able to pretend to be awake. If your spouse is anything like mine, make copies of any important paperwork (like Limdu Chits) in case of loss. 

I am sure I have more to learn about all of this but these are the things I have learned while waiting for yesterday and from yesterday. Feel free to PM me if you need to vent about kids, long hours, the parade of Chiefs and Selects marching thru your house, etc.. As I told my husband this morning as he went to work early in order to make sure everything gets set up, Don't Worry we got this. 

Guest HawkISback
2 hours ago, SirLuciousLeftFoot said:

I still don't know my fate? Still on my 30 days leave (checking in on Monday) Prior command does not have my info nor does my gaining command. My heart pounds extra hard as I await for the navadmin.

One of them has it, your test would have to a UIC on it.  I hope you got the S, however it's likely you were not selected and they are just not doing the right thing and telling you.  Let us know either way.   

Guest FCC_Thawk
4 hours ago, CryptoSquid said:

Well, 6 times up 6 time the N. Honestly really frustrated with this one. 

Again in congrats to all this what got the S. Learn all you can from this transition, but don't lose yourself and continue to take care of the Sailors that put you in yur position.

If anyone understands your frustration, it's me. Continue to take care of Sailors, constantly improve, and most importantly NEVER GIVE UP

Did not get the S this time, however I am asking for support in trying to find what I need to do to get that S next year. So far for the entire time I have been up for it I've passed the test every time, yet for the past 6 year's I've never actually had any mentorship or actual support in reaching that next level. It's just been my luck of the draw at the commands I've been to. I measure my success in how well my Sailors succeed and I've had Sailors of the year, Sailors picked for WH duty, 80% of my Sailors advance, 60% attain college degrees.... etc.. So if there are any ITC's or Chiefs that can help I really need it. After years of being the person people come to looking for help and finding solutions to the impossible tasks I myself am in need of help this time.

Guest Old_Salt_ITC
47 minutes ago, WJ77 said:

Did not get the S this time, however I am asking for support in trying to find what I need to do to get that S next year. So far for the entire time I have been up for it I've passed the test every time, yet for the past 6 year's I've never actually had any mentorship or actual support in reaching that next level. It's just been my luck of the draw at the commands I've been to. I measure my success in how well my Sailors succeed and I've had Sailors of the year, Sailors picked for WH duty, 80% of my Sailors advance, 60% attain college degrees.... etc.. So if there are any ITC's or Chiefs that can help I really need it. After years of being the person people come to looking for help and finding solutions to the impossible tasks I myself am in need of help this time.

PM me and I will do what I can to help.

Guest OldSalt
13 hours ago, HawkISback said:

Comrade,

It saddens me when I see it not work out, I was pulling for you. I hope as you transition you find the success you deserve. 

Hawk

Thank you. I guess along with picking up the pieces, and making plans for the future. I need to come up with a new screen name. Still want to help out Sailors and this is the best place to do it. Just have to do it from the side-lines. 

3 hours ago, Blankslate said:

Thank you @CPO_Pride247 for having posted the Spouse Handbook. Any spouses on here I highly recommend you locate it (maybe @Tony has it linked somewhere? I know it was posted in this thread). I read it before the results came out (and had read it 2 years ago as well) so yesterday when my shiny new Chief Select finally found his way home and started spouting things off, I not only knew what he was talking about (mostly the Khaki Ball) I could answer questions about it because of that Handbook (I think he just wanted to quiz me cause I told him I already knew about the Khaki Ball and about Dining In/Out events).

Yes I have it, I just need the time to post it. I think I'll put it on the spouses page of NavyAdvancement.com, not sure. :) 

Guest PS1_Flo

My husband and I were not selected this year. I am definitely crushed. I am trying to figure out what my next move is but I am honestly just really disappointed. I am not going to stop pushing or helping Sailors, but I can't lie and say I'm fine right now. I know it's just not my time but definitely frustrated. I am almost at 13 years so everyone says "you have time" but I really don't want to hear that, I am still disappointed.

11 hours ago, Lucky said:

Will there be a forum for selects b

Because of the pesky forum issues, not this year. I would also need a Chief to assist and I did not ask this year. Before that it was Dogg (member not any animal :D).

Guest navyordie123

So I didn't hear anything yesterday so I am going to go with I didn't get the S this year. Gonna regroup and go at it again for the junior sailors. 

Guest The Weazle
15 hours ago, iamevilradio said:

Well... today has kind of been a roller coaster. At first, they started pulling people aside one by one to let them know that they didn't make it before they did a big intercom announcement, so I was pretty hopeful because no one pulled me aside. Then they made the big announcement and... I wasn't on it. So about 20 minutes of sulking later I decide to go start smoking again because it's one of those days and my Chief stops me and tells me that they don't know about me yet. This I sort of brush off as one of those "We don't understand why you didn't make it so maybe your results got sent to your old UIC since you've only been here a month" things which I dismissed immediately because people who hadn't even reported yet got their results. 3 hours go by and I decide to leave after breaking the news to my wife that I didn't make it. I'm pulling onto my street after driving home where I get a Facebook message from someone telling me to call the office because no one had my number. One of my Chiefs had a friend on Facebook who had seen that I made it. Came back to work. Finally found out that I'm in a Hold status from a NJP 4 years and 11 months earlier. It's been a weird day and I'm sort of emotionally drained.

I'm not allowed to play in any Phase II events until I get this hold resolved, but I'm pretty hopeful at moment. Working on my Statement to NPC to get this resolved. Anyone else had any experience with this? Any advice? 

I have seen this.  I have a very good friend that went through this exact same scenario.  He had some hoops to jump through with his command, CO, and CMC, and then submitted all the paperwork, and then had to wait it out.  He also was not able to participate until the answer came in.  It took a while, but he was able to get a season, and get pinned.  Good Luck!

Folks, @KnockoutTrish has started a thread for CPO Selectee Spouses. Please pass the word to selectees - we want to give spouses all options in communicating during this time. KnockoutTrish has been around for awhile so she has some experience. She even assisted here with a spouse that had a big issue where we communicated with her over a weekend. That's right - we helped family in need over the internet... BBb)

Guest steelers3012
23 hours ago, AlohaChicken said:

He made it!

He had me going too, came home and told me all about his friends who picked up and how many were made on the ship and how pissed he was he had to stay late to do a PA setup. FIVE MINUTES of me feeling terrible for him.

Then he tells me he's messed with me long enough. So excited and proud of him!!

Is your husband on the Ford...I heard the same story this morning

Guest Riverine Rat

So I was not selected and I know of a few things I will work on for next year. Finish my AS degree, PPME, MOVSM. But being I just convertered to a new rate is that something that could have held me back. I know a few people at my last command that picked up and competitively I had more than them and wonder if I had stayed in my old rate would I have been selected. I have been told that switching into my new rate the board might want to see me perform at this level before giving me the blessing of moving up. Any truth to this? Either way I am going to take this and use it as motivation to have a more complete kit next year. Hopefully ate my CDB I will get some good info to build on my weaknesses and be better for it.

Guest iamevilradio
10 hours ago, The Weazle said:

I have seen this.  I have a very good friend that went through this exact same scenario.  He had some hoops to jump through with his command, CO, and CMC, and then submitted all the paperwork, and then had to wait it out.  He also was not able to participate until the answer came in.  It took a while, but he was able to get a season, and get pinned.  Good Luck!

Thanks. Should have my package sent to NPC tomorrow. The struggle has been tracking down people from my last command to write letters of recommendation on my behalf since I have only been at my command for about a month. I'm pretty sure I've got it all together and I think it'll work out for me. I'm not going to lie though, I was prepared to get a N this year but I was not at all prepared to get thrown into more "did I make it?" limbo. I think my reaction to this is only going to get worse as I see the Chief Selects move past me while I'm waiting again. I've got faith though. I'll get this. 

Guest IT_dc_03
17 hours ago, WJ77 said:

PM me.