Forum | Advancement | Career | Veteran | Bases | Enlisted Portal

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NavyNews

DoD Authorizes Global War on Terrorism Medals for Operation Freedom's Sentinel

Rate this topic

1 post in this topic

WASHINGTON (NNS) -- The Department of Defense announced March 12 that Operation Freedom's Sentinel is now a qualifying operation for award of the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal and Global War on Terrorism Service Medal.

Service members deployed to Afghanistan for Operation Freedom's Sentinel continue to be recognized through award of the Afghanistan Campaign Medal. However, service members deployed abroad in support of Operation Freedom's Sentinel outside of the Afghanistan Campaign Medal area of eligibility are now eligible for award of the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal. 

Those service members deployed in support of Operation Freedom's Sentinel who have previously been recognized with the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal for other qualifying operations are eligible to wear a service star on the medal or ribbon device.

Undersecretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness Jessica Wright approved award of the Global War on Terrorism Medals for Operation Freedom's Sentinel, retroactive to Jan. 1, 2015, in a memorandum signed March 11.

Full eligibility criteria for the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary and Service medals are contained in Department of Defense Manual 1348.33, Volume 2, Manual of Military Decorations and Awards: DoD Service Awards Campaign, Expeditionary, and Service Medals. Additionally, lists of operations and areas of eligibility are available at:http://prhome.defense.gov/RFM/MPP/OEPM/Functions [http://prhome.defense.gov/RFM/MPP/OEPM/Functions?source=GovDelivery ].

Service members should contact their respective military departments for additional guidance.

To learn more, please view the department's memorandum [http://www.defense.gov/documents/GWOT_Expeditionary_and_Service_Medals_Operation_FREEDOM?source=GovDelivery ].

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• MAC WIFE
  • Recent Status Updates

• USNAO1AWSW

USNAO1AWSW

Finally finished the new SEJPME and received my MOVSM today. Last eval was #1 EP out of 33 and SOY for the command.  FCPOA President, MWR President, Command CFL, UPC, and I excelled in all of them and it reflects on my evals. Last eval I had LPO at sea and I have a lot of Chiefs rooting for me and helping me with my package. As I learn from them I am building my package with the rest of the board eligibles and we are learning a lot from each other. The more I learn the better I can train my junior First Classes and so on down the chain. I have learned a lot from this forum in the past and I will continue to use it as a tool. Hopefully this is my year. Best of luck to the rest of you.
      · 1 reply
    • LS1

LS1  »  MM1(SW)

Hello,
      My name is LS1 Espinoza. I have been reading your discussions and I am in need of some guidance please.
      I have just gotten results from the Chief's Exam, first time up. I took the exam for LDO purposes.  I am now board eligible for LDO!  What are my next steps?  I have not started any packages yet, I am guessing I would be applying for FY18? 
      I have been a Reservist for 10yrs and the last two I have been FTS, so this is pretty new to  me. 
      Where do I start?  When is my package due?
      Thanks for your help!
      V/R
      LS1(EXW) Espinoza.

· 6 replies
    • SeaBeeDoc

SeaBeeDoc

Wondering If the Administrator will spell my login name correctly it's SeaBeeDoc, thanks!
      · 0 replies
    • Garlicdude

Garlicdude  »  ET1IDWSW

Good luck ET1 from a fellow ET1.
      · 1 reply
    • Chief Wifey

Chief Wifey  »  cg41980

You mentioned Capt. Henderson giving a brief...is it located in Norfolk?
      · 0 replies